Injector Dynamics vs. FIC etc.

I have been looking at buying injectors for my build, I've been looking at 1000cc injectors and I've narrowed it down to Bosch high impedence (think its an EV14). My question is there seems to be several people selling these and I would like an opinion on which are best.

First up are Injector Dynamics ID1000's these claim to be supior to the others in that they are matched on dwell time as well as flow across a range of pulse widths. They also use their own nozzle. However they are almost double the price of the others.

The others; Fuel Injector Clinic, Five-O, Fuel Injector Connection all seem to be much of the same in that they are the same Bosch core as the ID's but they are only matched on flow, using a standard technique.

I'm all for paying extra for technology which makes a difference to the end result, but I am not convinced the ID's are offering anything that will substantially change how the engine will perform: the fuel spray patterns don't seem to vary greatly, being the same Bosch cores the linearity against pulse width should be similar. Searching the net for information whenever this topic seems to come up the guys from ID seem to wade in and avoid answering the question blinding with science. So I would like to hear someone elses point of view.

Heres a video comparing the ID's and the Fuel Injector Clinic injectors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQTRYixL1p0

warpspeed

Would there really be that much variation in flow rates across different pulse widths on a bosch injector? i would doubt there would be enough to make enough difference to worry about.

Are there and videos available showing different spray patterns? Again would it be enough to make any difference unless the number or shape of the holes in the pintle were being changed, i know when Nicolson Mclaren used petrol injectors in the early days for lpg injection they took a 5 hole pintle on Siemens injectors and machined them to a single hole to avoid the liquid lpg freezing the pintle but by the looks of it those pintles are the same

Last edited:

stumo

no idea about the other injectors but i've got a set of ID's as i couldn't find any others when i got mine....(i've not used them yet)

how much is a set these days?

you do know you have to bypass the injector resistor?

Last edited:

stumo

HAha, just noticed it was you Ed that was the OP.

Apparently dwell times can vary quite a bit esp on larger injectors.

They are very vocal (as are most yanks IMHO) and quite aggressive.

Are they worth 2x the price? dunno,

Wow, they're 440 dollars, think i paid almost that a few years ago...still pretty cheap, so similar for half price is a steal!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've played with dwell times on my injectors as I couldn't find what the 750cc Denso dwell settings were and everyone seems to have a different opinion on the net. I've seen maps from 2 different tuners on other GtiR's with the same injectors that also had a difference in opinion to each other and the net. Having the right dwell time will make a difference as I needed to re do the fuelling at low loads/revs. I am OCD with my mapping and I was commuting so an improvement of 0.5mpg bothered me. Did going from the wrong dwell times to the rights ones make much difference in terms of smoothness, HP or torque.... no.

I would be surprised if having a consistent dwell time across all injectors at all flows will make any significant difference except for a formula 1 car etc. Save your money.

Are you doing your own mapping?

ashills

spray pattern was the worst i have ever seen, it was like turning on the bath tap they were near the cc they were meant to be when tested but guy doing the bench test just laughed at them when compared to a set of sards etc

sorry should say that they were the different style injector to these but made buy the same place

Were those the "modified" Siemens injectors? As I agree I wouldn't touckh those with a barge pole, but these re-paqckaged Bosch ones appear to be a different kettle of fish all together.

Also was that Fuel Injector Clinic or Fuel Injector Connection?

At the moment I'm leaning towards the ID's as in the 1000cc size the price gap isn't too big.

stumo

just get the ID's ya tight bastid, no amount of ball rubbing will make the cheaper injectors work properly