ignition timing?

nismoboy

my car is idiling a little high and i know that my timing is out, it idles at 1,500 rpm on warm up then goes down to about 1,000 then once its warm it rises to a constant 1,500 rpm.Does this mean my timing is running advanced? or retarded? any help would be much appreciated.

A

AJ4

Timing is not related to idle speed, only that the ecu tries to hold the rpm constant by varying the timing.

Adjusting the timing wont affect the idle speed as the ecu will electronically swing the timing to bring the rpm back up again :D

Its a really common problem ( high idle ) and theres probably about a 1000 posts about it in the forum ;)

geetee

There's sooo many things that have been the cause of a high idle that ur better doing a search of the forum.

I think if you fart near an R it starts to idle high as a protest to the smell. :?

Get some 6x9's then u won't know.

Cheers
GeeTee

T

tombola

nismoboy i have the exact same thing happen on my R
on startup without touchin the throttle it will settle
at 1000 rpm then creep up as it gets warmer to 1500 rpm
or if u touch the throttle it will jump to 1500 also

im trying to set timing and idle with the tps unplugged
but not getting any idle response so cant set timing?

only thing wrong withe car is it has a slight misfire
but cant tell so much when on boost?

contact me if have any ideas b4 me

nismoboy

i took my car to have the timing set t o 20 degrees and now that has sorted out my high idle it now idles at about 1050rpm which is much better but now it seems that i am detting and so im gonna get the timing checked again just to make sure this is not the causing the det. Bloody car does my head head in ive fixed the high idle but now got det and after about 15 mins of driving it goes into limp mode :x