Ignition timing and boost settings

K

keiichi

Is there a rough guide to the average or correct Ignition advance settings when running 1 bar to say 1.4 - whats the average?

Also how is the ignition changed - ECU (emanage on my car) via laptop / adjusted on the engine side ?

Thanks - looking at more boost and want to fully understand this side of things.

K

keiichi

EVOBAD said:
via laptop
Ta (again mate) just you and me on this forum!! then - so what cables & software do I need ? - I need the Emanage cable / software - but do I also need a cable to the standard ECU too??

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
keiichi said:
Is there a rough guide to the average or correct Ignition advance settings when running 1 bar to say 1.4 - whats the average?

Also how is the ignition changed - ECU (emanage on my car) via laptop / adjusted on the engine side ?

Thanks - looking at more boost and want to fully understand this side of things.

Ignition will depend on your your engine compression, type of fuel etc...

If its standard all over then you should be ok with 20deg... Just use Optimax... Always best to keep an eye on it though as every engine is different... FMIC helps keep the charge temps down to avoid det at 20deg base advance..

Mapping for the Emanage is done via a laptop and the emanage tool...

Rishi

S

slammed_gtir

how could i find out what my ingnition tining is at on my more or less standard engine running 1 bar?

A

AJ4

use a timing light ?? Seriously, if you dont know what a timing light is then its probably not a good idea to be messing about with your timing ;) :lol:

Also, the base ignition is set with the distributer, the ecu ( and emanage ) only adds or takes away from this value.

S

slammed_gtir

yeah i no what a timing light is what i was getting at was are there marks on the distributor that i can use to check?

A

AJ4

from the factory they usually have a little silver paper seal over the top bolt. If the paper is intact then its probably not been fiddled with from standard. If it has been moved, you can usually tell how much its been moved by looking for a witness mark on the casing where it was bolted from the factory.

the only way to check it properly is to use the marks on the crank pulley with a timing light ( there is a sticky somewhere on here with the correct method ), it involves removing bits and revving etc etc

youngsyp

That must mean mine hasn't had the base timing touched since it left the factory !

Anyway, you need to check this at idle, with the engine at normal operating temperature, with the TPS disconnected (just pull the plug out !). Rev the engine a few times to settle it and you should see the line on the crank pulley, when shining the timing light at it !

If the fans come on, wait for them to go off to get an accurate reading !