Ignition problems - help please

E

Edd

Right i will just explain how my car's been behaving and what i've had done over the last month or so then tell you what i've done and i want you to diagnose the fault :D :? :roll:

Had car set up at powerstation back in august. It was pinking quite badly and they had to retard the ignition quite a lot to stop it from pinking.
Got 172 @ the wheels compared to 175@wheels back in may.
Since then noticed a slight misfire off boost on the car. Anyway two weeks ago i decided to service it. (by the way my plugs are std pfr7b-9 gapped to 0.9mm and have been fine)
I replaced dizzy cap, rotar arm, fuel filter, basically everything EXCEPT leads. The plugs i fitted were NGK race plugs (later found out to be gapped to 0.62mm)
Anyway misfure was still there and car ran exactly the same so i thought :(
Went to a rolling road shootout and got car on rollers and got 206bhp @ fly @ 5600rpm :eek: :cry: operator said it was missing badly due to being under load and didnt want to rev very well and they thought the boost was blowing the spark out.
SO i rang powerstation and then i regapped my old plugs to 0.7mm and fitted them. Drove the car and it fookin flew, revved like it used, and was really quick (well compared to how it was not wanitng to rev fast)
Also point out that turbo is spooling up fine..
Anyway 2 days later and nothing else changed and the car goes slow again :(
Don't know why and havent changed the plug gap yet.
today i tested the spark from the HT leads.
Unplugged each lead while it was running and arcd it off the cam cover. LEads 1-3 sparked on a random cycle and slowly Lead number 4 kept zapping repeatedly approx 4/5 times per second and constantly whereas 1-3 kept changing how often it sparked.
So i plugged the end of lead number 1 into position number 4 on the dizzy and ran the car on 2 cylinders :roll:
result was a good spark on lead number 1 unlike when its connected to number 1 on dizzy.

sooo is my leads?? (only thing not changed)
or do i have to look at the fact my coil, ignition module, or dizzy are fooked.
Car now has a huge miss where it wont even accelrate for about 3 seconds under load and it just doesnt want to rev :x

Help please :idea:

A

Anonymous

Try a set of leads, the problem may run deeper but this is the most obvious.

A

Anonymous

Try the Diagnostics to see if there are any error codes in the ECU this may point you in the right direction

A

Anonymous

Mine did this mate when I first got it, turns out it was the leads. Would run fine until boost came in and it would die a death. Never had any problems since, and that was over a year ago.

Dan

kyepan

does anyone know what the part number of the leads is as i am experiencing similar symoptoms but not as bad :) :lol:

J

J-GTi-R

If you get missing, the FIRST thing you should change is the leads. I'm on my fourth set and know exactly when to change them, because the car starts missing slightly (if I leave it, it'll progressively get worse until it's undrivable, as it was before I changed the first set). Every time, it's been the leads at fault and a new set has completely cured it.

zia

to check if it,s defintely your leads you could try a resistance check on each one and check it against recommend or normal resistance. :lol:

zia

E

Edd

how do i do a resistance check?
to be honest i hope it is the leads cos next on my hit list are dizzy, coil and ignition module, which ive all sorted out to buy or borrow.
Think i'll order some leads tomorrow anyway :(

car now has a HUGE flatspot before picking up and even when it does pick up it is very slow and doesnt want to rev high

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Edd said:
Unplugged each lead while it was running and arcd it off the cam cover. LEads 1-3 sparked on a random cycle and slowly Lead number 4 kept zapping repeatedly approx 4/5 times per second and constantly whereas 1-3 kept changing how often it sparked.
So i plugged the end of lead number 1 into position number 4 on the dizzy and ran the car on 2 cylinders :roll:
result was a good spark on lead number 1 unlike when its connected to number 1 on dizzy.
:idea:
Did you put a spare plug in the end of the lead to arc it off the cam cover?
If no1 lead worked ok connected to number4 dizzy output, but not number1 dizzy output, that would suggest to me it's something in the dizzy or earlier. Wether it's the dizzy cap, rotor arm or something on the lt side (ignition amp ?)

E

Edd

no i just arced it off the cam cover with no plug in :roll:
I was on the phone to mr RSnissan who was instructing me :roll:

well the dizzy cap and rotar arm are 2 weeks old, so im thinking cos of the little test i did that its something before the leads.
Also after speaking to gtir spares sounds like his misfire as ive devloped this big flatspot so thining its ignition module :x