Ignition Fuse Blowing

MORF114

Not been in my car for about 3 weeks over christmas and new years anyway the ignition fuse is constantly blowing everytime i go to turn the engine over ive ripped the dash out today to see if anything is shorting and checked all my wiring i did and still cannot find any fault im stumped about this problem just appearing.

Any ideas where to look next?

jsbuds

Maybe its the starter motor trying to pull too many amps upon starting, maybe its siezed or a winding in the motor i touching to earth

MORF114

Hope its not the starter tried to get a look at that a while ago nissan designers need to be shot for putting starter there making it so unaccesable.

MORF114

i really hope its not the starter motor, thought id get a new one today, didnt think it would be much for a new one thought it would be a few hundred dollers but $1300nzd thought the big long shoes the red nose and the white face paint was a bit of a give away but $1300 jesus christ!!!! think ill reco it or find a decent 2nd hand one.

Sounds very wrong to me way too expensive how much are they new in the uk cant be more than 450?? i would of thought around 200 pound.

Wasnt too hard to get out thought id ripp the t.boddies off just to make it a bit easier and check the wiring for any tears and remove the bracketery but i did find that the knock sensor was flapping around not screwed to the block !!

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

if it is the starter motor, i can flog you one in good working order for £35 plus p+p

but i dont think it is the starter motor! the ignition circuit is partially run to the alternator which has a constant live feed.
if the bearing has collapsed in the alternator this will cause a dead short between the inner and outer windings (which are basically negative and positive) this could cause the fusible link to blow immediately!
dis-connect the live wire to the back of the alternator, and see what happens then!

MORF114

just changed the starter and yep your rigt it wasnt the starter motor, just read through the thread and ill go take the live off the alternator see what happens.
fingers crossed it is the alt gone beyond the really annoyed trying to figure and find out what it is stage now!!

MORF114

just tried the alt and i dont think my fingers were crossed hard enough still blows the fuse.

Ignition lights all come on when you put key in couple of turns but as soon as you go that extra turn to crank it over it blows .:confused:

Think it could be dodgy wiring on the ecu at all ??

MORF114

well today i pulled all the dash apart and rewired and re earthed everything i put in and my greddy profec b earth has 14 volts from it dony know how but it does bought a new voltage tester thinking mine was knackered but still has 14 volts put everything together apart from the boost controller and she fired up re earthed the boost controller and it still fired up very confused with this car. at least it runs again but for how long who knows !!!

P

pulsarboby

there is a possibility that its the starter relay! could have an internal short, if it happens again try changing the relay and make sure the plug that it fits into, isnt arcing across to earth!