i hate my 'R' right now

C

CHRIS_2010

i hate my r so much right now!!!!! grrrrrr driving along down the road running fine on boost,then all of a sudden ..car cuts out.. and wont restart..no bangs or knocks from the engine no excessive smoke from exhaust..oil level correct,and coolant ok...

so 40min later mr. RAC man turns up, decideds he will try fix it.oh dear he checks all the usuals etc.....then he tells me my engines etc is bol*ocked ....then im like ok...then he tells me he will tow me home ..hed never heard of a gtir before..then came the news ive got a 2hr30min wait ..just 2 get a flat bed 2 pick me up...bloody rac people.

so this morning i get up take the dizzy cap off...and the rotor arm is worn..plus the grub screw is missing..and the centre pinion in the dizzy is loose..grr.

but being a sunday theres no were to get spares.....

and i finally get in at 2.30am ..

also the shaft that the rotar arm sits on i can move it through about 20deegrees ..should there be any movement atall

any help would be good

so thats was my sat night

Last edited by a moderator:
S

swanny

Had this exact problem on my 'R about a month ago. The thread had worn on the part that the arm screws to. I used some 'lock tight' and she's held nicely ever since. I'm fairly certain my arm shaft also had a bit of play in it, so I wouldn't been too concerned with that mate.

Run down halfords get some lock tight and get sticking ;)

Also if you look in the end of the shaft that the rotor arm goes on there is a screw, check this hasn't come loose as this happened to me and I could twist the rotor arm by hand which led to it running like a bag of poo at high revs.

gtir bean

the screw that holds the shaft that the arm mounts to on mine came loose so the arm could move 360 degrees with the engine off.just turned the shaft so it located properly and tightened the screw and its fine again.it just died when it done it too.

C

CHRIS_2010

bad news.. i need a new distributor i dont trust the old one now....put it back 2gether but didnt run properly..soooo im gonna get a new one.

anyone know how much they are ?

C

CHRIS_2010

what for a reconditioned one ?

i dont want one from nissan ...dont mind what make it is.

but 400quid..that seems well harsh

C

CHRIS_2010

oh sorry lol....i dont mind having a distributor with some sort of warrantys...