hybrid turbo?

T

TomsTurbo

Im new to the GTiR scene, got myself a 1993 white R. Lovivin every bit of it! But i have spotted blue smoke between gear changes, which has to be the turbo. So im wondering what to do, should i go hybrid? or just fix it?
And is it possible to run an upgraded turbo safely on a slightly modded engin? eg just install a boost controler?

Thanks for any advice Tom.

nitrosgti-r

make sure u get more fuel in or else it will take the top off the piston etc. you'l need to get it mapped at a tuners mate ;)

T

TomsTurbo

So fuel pump upgrade and mapping it is in order then! cheers. u recomend any fuel pumps? or will just mapping do the job?

turbodaily

walbro 255 fuel pump is what majority use. get turbo rebuilt with 360 bearing (turbo suppliers call a stage 1) and you'l be sorted

youngsyp

turbodaily said:
get turbo rebuilt with 360 bearing (turbo suppliers call a stage 1) and you'l be sorted
Don't bother with the 360 degree thrust bearing, that's a very old tech solution. For very similar money, you should go for a ball bearing core rebuild. If you want to go that extra mile, get the housings ported too.
When they hybridise a turbo, they usually cut back the blades of the turbine, to reduce lag. But, I think this will affect the efficiency range of the turbo and probably lower the amount of boost it can produce. With a ball bearing core, there's really no need to cut the blades back as, it will spool up that much quicker anyway.

AS for the fuel pump, there's a guy over on the modifiers club who sells 255lph pumps for around £50. These are effectively the Walbro pumps (same internals), without Walbro stamped on them. You can also get these pumps on eBay for similar money.
Before you do that, it might be worth hard wiring your existing fuel pump in as, it'll only be seeing around 12 volts as opposed to 14.4 volts and that will reduce flow and so pressure. Do a search, there's a thread on it somewhere !

turbodaily

i doubt you would get a roller bearing core rebuild for £200??

the cut back blades dont give quicker spool up, its something they do on rally cars as they run anti lag the turbo gets very hot and the tips of the blades can break off. so they cut back the end of the blades to prevent this. (this is what i was tought when i worked for a turbo supplier)

if anything it makes it take longer to spool up, my old turbo tecs stage 1 was a fair bit laggier than a complete stock t28.

youngsyp

turbodaily said:
i doubt you would get a roller bearing core rebuild for £200??

the cut back blades dont give quicker spool up, its something they do on rally cars as they run anti lag the turbo gets very hot and the tips of the blades can break off. so they cut back the end of the blades to prevent this. (this is what i was tought when i worked for a turbo supplier)

if anything it makes it take longer to spool up, my old turbo tecs stage 1 was a fair bit laggier than a complete stock t28.
Thanks for the info mate but, where can you get a hybrid re-build for £200 ?

Fusion Ed

A roller core rebuilt is not really an option. Its almost always cheaper once you add labour just to get a new turbo.

youngsyp

Micra Ed said:
A roller core rebuilt is not really an option. Its almost always cheaper once you add labour just to get a new turbo.
Sorry, that's what I was implying...... get a roller bearing cored replacement by exchange.
I thought the same would apply when buying a 'hybrid' turbo ?! I.e. they won't refurb and hybridise your own turbo, they'll take it in exchange for one of their own, already hybridised items ?!

Fusion Ed

It depends really, if you have something special for your car that a normal turbo wont fit then you can have your own modified. Quite often however as you say that will just give you one of the shelf, its much quicker this way.

youngsyp

Micra Ed said:
It depends really, if you have something special for your car that a normal turbo wont fit then you can have your own modified. Quite often however as you say that will just give you one of the shelf, its much quicker this way.
Good point. I guess it depends on the place you choose to use.

turbodaily

youngsp thats how much i have had turbos rebuilt for in the past. (assuming its only the seals and bearing thats ****ed and the housings and wheels are re usable.)