HT Leads !(again)!

G

GTiR-nick

Hey guys, i know this post has been done many times but i seem to be reading the same thing over and over again. Im after a new set of leads now lots of people are saying to go with the original nissan ones as they are good for 400bhp. Now what leads are advised if your running more than 400bhp?? and where can they be purchased?
Cheers
Nick

youngsyp

You need to understand that just because you're raising the engine power output, the ignition leads need explicitly changing. They don't. The power output of the car doesn't change how much energy, voltage and current the ignition leads carry, that's determined by the coil etc...

Have you changed your OE coil, ignition amp etc.. from stock parts ? If not, do you really think there's any point in changing the stock leads ?

Another point is that although the stock leads work just fine, they can certainly be improved upon.
You just need to look for some lower resistance leads with better quality insulation and conductors to better the stock leads. I've done that for around £25 !

Paul

gunmetalgtir

youngsyp said:
You just need to look for some lower resistance leads with better quality insulation and conductors to better the stock leads. I've done that for around £25 !

A link would be good if you have one Paul! :eek:k:

youngsyp

RishiGTiR said:
Generally the standard leads are the best even for over 400bhp..
In which way/s ?

They're just a piece of average quality high voltage cable with rubber boots at each end, all made to a cost.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'd just like to understand how they can be better than a higer quality alternative!

To me, this is the same kind of thinking that goes into the 'argument' that the OE exhaust manifold is 'good' for 400 bhp. I'm sure it is but, it's one hell of a poor design and can be bettered very easily!

Paul

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Ok here goes...

HT Leads may be of better quality.. But its to do with the resistance in the cable.. Because of this I was told that using HT leads will wear out the Ignition Amp quicker and cause it to fail.. Therefor to make any use of the HT leads you would need to upgrade the rest of the ignition system..

So if you are using the std ignition system, i would recommend the std leads..

youngsyp

RishiGTiR said:
Because of this I was told that using HT leads will wear out the Ignition Amp quicker and cause it to fail.. Therefor to make any use of the HT leads you would need to upgrade the rest of the ignition system..
Hmmm, whoever told you that clearly has no understanding of vehicle ignition systems or electronics in general.
The ignition amplifier (a misleading name) is nothing more than an electronic switch that interacts with the distributor and coil to release the energy that's sent to the spark plugs.

With that in mind, how could a set of lower resistance leads wear the ignition amplifier out quicker ?
They cant. Put simply, a lower reistance set of leads will, make the ignition system more efficient.
Again though, it's not all about lower resistance. A good set of leads will be made from the best materials so, they will have a long sevice life and insulate the spark energy entirely. They should not cause any sort of intereference either.

I've had the leads from the link I posted up for about a 1 and a half years and they've worked faultlessly, and still look new. They are made from the same materials as the Magnecor 8mm leads and the customer service from the place is also second to none.

Paul

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
youngsyp said:
Hmmm, whoever told you that clearly has no understanding of vehicle ignition systems or electronics in general.
The ignition amplifier (a misleading name) is nothing more than an electronic switch that interacts with the distributor and coil to release the energy that's sent to the spark plugs.

With that in mind, how could a set of lower resistance leads wear the ignition amplifier out quicker ?
They cant. Put simply, a lower reistance set of leads will, make the ignition system more efficient.
Again though, it's not all about lower resistance. A good set of leads will be made from the best materials so, they will have a long sevice life and insulate the spark energy entirely. They should not cause any sort of intereference either.

I've had the leads from the link I posted up for about a 1 and a half years and they've worked faultlessly, and still look new. They are made from the same materials as the Magnecor 8mm leads and the customer service from the place is also second to none.

Paul
You probably know more about all that then i do.. It was from a half decent source who when using 'uprated leads' on a customers car many moons ago found it ruined other parts of the ignition until he went back to std leads.. Hence why he always recommends std leads..