how to run in??

D

dick dastedly

just in the process of refitting my engine that has had new rings and was wondering if anyone could advise on how best to run them in as ive been told to run them in hard and today been told to run then in on ordinary oil (good quality) for the first 500 mile steady then change the oil to synthetic , as synthetic will stop the rings bedding in as well as it does its job too well

P

Pete

all different tuners will tell you different ways to run your car in my tuner said first 500 miles not over 4500rpm and after that the next 500 mile 5000 rpm plus boost it every now and again and then every 100 mile take it up 500 rpm until you are near your rev limiter and then back in for the check up and the oil changed :-D :-D

Dooie Pop Pop

use mineral oil and run them in hard....change oil after 10 miles or so...

there was a really good guide somewhere:? :lol:

C

Chris G

my mate just ran his GT4 in by doing a track day :shock: then changing the oil!

Don't know if thats how I'd go about it but its worked for him :lol:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Use Millers 10w/40 Running in oil...

Use between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle and no more... Take it upto 4000 - 5000rpm... Just give it plenty of rev but no full throttle and keep your boost to 0.5bar... Don't do motorway miles either... You want lots of up and down revs...

500miles is plenty for running in an engine.... To be honest your rings bed in, in the first 20mins of running your engine so don't be a pussy cat about it...

Rishi

C

Chris G

Thats an interesting article mate :D :D :D

Certainly worth thinking about ;)

mad max

RishiGTiR said:
Use Millers 10w/40 Running in oil...

Use between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle and no more... Take it upto 4000 - 5000rpm... Just give it plenty of rev but no full throttle and keep your boost to 0.5bar... Don't do motorway miles either... You want lots of up and down revs...

500miles is plenty for running in an engine.... To be honest your rings bed in, in the first 20mins of running your engine so don't be a pussy cat about it...

Rishi
spot on rishi thats what i was told and did

P

papdog

That's good then as mine has just been run in with half to 3/4 throttle and 0.5 bar boost, more by luck than judgement. I was told 1000 miles but if 500 is fine, mine is off to be mapped for higher boost then!

Graham

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Well tbh you can run in an engine in one hour on a Rolling Road using some trick techniques...

But a propper 500 road miles and thats your engine well broken in...

Rishi

D

dick dastedly

that artical has answered all my questions, both my mates were right one said about the oil the other about running it hard so a lesson to be had their , listen to all and then make your own mind up. THANKS EVERYONE

leon2engines

RishiGTiR said:
Well tbh you can run in an engine in one hour on a Rolling Road using some trick techniques...

But a propper 500 road miles and thats your engine well broken in...

Rishi
thats what we do.

Chiffs

read that thread about running in hard, all makes sense. If i ever need to run a motor in again might try it