How to Rotate turbo housing

scoobkiller

anyone got a how to as bit stuck.. got a fmic and turbo housing needs turning a bit to line it up propaly..

aaaarrrrggghhhh help please

pulsarmoley

When i had to do this with my turbo i rotated my inlet/centre/exhaust housing by undoing the 6 bolts on each side that clamp the inlet/exhaust housing to the centre piece. I fitted the turbo in place with the clamp bolts loose and rotated as necessary to get everything to line up, then took it off to tighten bolts back up. This was on a GT2560, so not sure if its same with other turbos? What turbo do you have?

scoobkiller

standard tub's
and started undoing them but actuator is joined to a few of the bolts..
and do they need to be fully out or just un-done

pulsarmoley

standard tub's
and started undoing them but actuator is joined to a few of the bolts..
and do they need to be fully out or just un-done
Just loosened so it releases the clamping pressure. How much do you need to rotate the inlet housing. I had to custom fit my actuator on my turbo cos i had to turn the inlet housing so much.

scoobkiller

10-15mm should do it..just i/c/pipe holes wont line up so just need a little at a time..
got 5 un done just one left on the back side of turbo..will get thin spanner, and then do that one..

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Which bit needs turning, the iron exhaust (turbine) side or the Ally (compressor) inlet side, either way its useful to have a bench vice to hold it all still.

The 1/2 inch (usually imperial) bolts and semi circle brackets that hold it all in position are located around the inside rim of each housing. The exploded view below should help.

View attachment 1118

You can see the 2 semi circle brackets held into position by 6 1/2inch headed bolts on the turbine side and you'll then see a similar set up on the other side for the compressor.
To turn the turbine (cast iron) housing, loosen the 6 bolts the minimum amount required to allow the housing to rotate on the core. Excessive loosening of the housing bolts might allow contact and possible turbine wheel damage, so bolts should not be loosened more than 1.5 turns, that should be enough to allow movement. This is where you'll see it would be good to hold the whole assembly in a bench vice or something.
Any changes you make to either side, make sure the oil/water inlet and outlet points on the turbo core are still able to line up with the engine lines. The oil outlet (largest hole) must be at the bottom with the centre line of the hole not more than 35 degrees from vertical.
Once you have it all where you want it, nip the bolts back up again (torque settings below). The other challenge you might face is to line up the actuator rod, this might and usually does require a custom mounting bracket to be made.

Torque Values for bolts
Compressor (GT series) 145-165 in-lbs
Turbine (GT series) 185-215 in-lbs"

have fun

Steve

Attachments

scoobkiller

cheers mate,, nice diagram..
its compreser housing that needs to be turned.. might just cut pipe and re weld it so dont have to piss about,,

pulsarmoley

cheers mate,, nice diagram..
its compreser housing that needs to be turned.. might just cut pipe and re weld it so dont have to piss about,,
I had to cut my pipe to the topmount to twist the mounting point and space it out as my new turbo sat slightly lower. I connected back together with a radiator pipe from a digger.

Also its safer to rotate the turbine housing as the clearences are much less critical than the the compressor cover for turbo performance and are therefore generally slight larger than the comp end. It is also worth measuring the front wheel clearance before and after rotating the cover (I'll put some instructions on how to do this later when I'm not at work)