How to replace Det sensor

Hannie

From the top,remove intercooler if top mounted and rear hose
remove the large dump valve pipe that goes to the inlet manifold
undo the 12mm bolt that holds the y shaped manifold support bracket on,on the passenger side of the inlet manifold just below where the rear intercooler pipe goes on.
On the back on the y shaped bracket near the top passenger side the vacuum pipes that come from the back on the manifold should be secured by a cablie tie type thing if they are you will need to release them from it
Jack car up and put on axle stands
Remove exhaust downpipe and oil filter
place rubber glove,food bag or something over where the oil filter goes on to stop any oil dripping on your face
Remove the switch multiplug from its mount on the drives side of the y shaped bracket
Remove the 12mm bolt that holds the Y bracket to the drivers side of the inlet manifold underneath best to use a couple of long extensions and a wiggley end for this
remove the 2 9/16 or 14mm bolts from the base of the Y bracket
the bracket should now be free(ish)the loom that goes behind it may be clipped into it about 1/4 way up it and will require unclipping so as not to stretch the loom
move the Y bracket as far as you can to the passenger side
look up towards the centre of the block just below the large water pipe that runs across the back of the engine and you'll see the det sensor held on by a 12mm bolt through the centre of it don't even bother trying to remove the plug from it
Undo the 12mm bolt using the long extensions and wiggley end again with the sensor removed from block its now much easier to remove the plug
Fit new sensor to the plug make sure block is clean where sensor bolts on and refit in reverse order.
Enjoy

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you don't have the bracket on the back of the engine blocking access, you can probably just go in from the bottom as get straight on it. (unless you're built like a gorilla)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you don't have the bracket on the back of the engine blocking access, you can probably just go in from the bottom as get straight on it. (unless you're built like a gorilla)
Agreed. If you know where it is and you don''t have anything in the way, you could reach it. I don't know how easy it would be to reach around the transfer case, but with no Y-bracket you could probably reach in underneath the plenum.

A lot of these jobs are much easier once you've had the engine out once and ditched the 'extras'. ;-)

I have tried this 5 times now and had no luck. I don't know how the hell your supposed to get to it from under the car. I took my Y-bracket off when i had the engine out, and i still can't do it :( I can just about get a socket on the bolt, but having room to turn it...... it's just not happening. I'm taking it to the garage soon to get them to do it lol.

Smo

I have tried this 5 times now and had no luck. I don't know how the hell your supposed to get to it from under the car. I took my Y-bracket off when i had the engine out, and i still can't do it :( I can just about get a socket on the bolt, but having room to turn it...... it's just not happening. I'm taking it to the garage soon to get them to do it lol.
Don't be silly mate, I can help if you like. We will get it out somehow!

I might have to take you up on that offer mate lol. It's just such an arse to get to. Maybe of you had one person underneath the car looking up, and the other reaching round from the right of the plenum; it could be done. But there is just no room to get a rachet or anything :(

Smo

I know mate, trying to work on the back of the engine is a pain. Removing Andy's Y Bracket with the engine in situ was a ballache but we got there in the end! Give me a text if you need a hand bud.

vss irvine

just use plenty of extension bars and a knuckle to get the socket on from the rear,

run your extension bars in from the rear of the transfer box

just use plenty of extension bars and a knuckle to get the socket on from the rear,
run your extension bars in from the rear of the transfer box
I did try that but found the angle on the knuckle was too tight and i couldn't turn the socket. cheers though, i will have another go at the weekend. By the rear of the box do you mean the rear facing the offside front wheel, or the rear as in where it joins the centre axle (whatever you call it; going to rear diff lol).
Cheers mate.

Yer i will give you a text mate, cheers for the offer. Hopefully it will be do-able with two of us 8)

Ah right yes, cheers chap. I'll give it another go this weekend then. I'll have to pester smo and see if he is bored and wants to help :)