How to remove wheel stud from hub flange ?

youngsyp

To cut a long story short, I'm going to have to drill a wheel nut off so, chances are, I'll damage the stud when doing this.
So, as the title says really, how can I remove/replace the wheel stud ? will I need to press it out ? Or, will it be 'easier' than that ?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Braveheart

Paul, it should come out with a good sturdy knock with a hammer.
I changed all my studs recently and every single one come out no problem.
My problem was seating the new studs. I drew them in with the wheel nuts but checked them often over the next week as they took a while to fully seat. Had to nip them up.
There all home now though......;-)

youngsyp

Thanks chaps.

And that brings me on to my next question...... Bob, if you have a stud and plain old wheel nut in you little Aladdin's cave, can you please PM me with how much you want for 1 of each, plus postage ? Along with your Paypal details and I'll get the money off to you immediately.

Thanks again.

Paul

P

pulsarboby

just pm me your address through paul, you can have them matey, il get them in post this week for you.

youngsyp

Right, I finally got round to drilling the stud out today. Used a set of titanium coated HSS drill bits and they chewed through fantastically.

Anyway, I had a look into knocking the old, drilled wheel stud out and fitting the new one. Clearly you cant do this with the hub flange in place so, how do you do it ?

I'm guessing I need to remove the disc, and then the hub flange but, can you do this without destoying the wheel bearing ? And if so, how ?

Cheers

Paul

Braveheart

I ground a bit off the guard and rotated the hub / stud to the newly opened area of the guard. This allows you to bang the old stud out and manouver the new one in.

Last edited:

youngsyp

Braveheart said:
I ground a bit off the guard and rotated the hub / stud to the newly opened area of the guard. This allows you to bang the old stud out and manouver the new one in.
Thanks again Scott.

I've already butchered the stone guard, to fit my 308mm discs so, I'll have a look and try to find the best point of access, then grind some more off.

Paul

ashills

theres a space behind the flange for the studs to come out just rotate hub till it lines up and put new one in there aswell