How To Remove / Replace Coolant Thermostat

I

iomegalinux

you open the cover, and it will come out directly.
be sure to relief all the air in the system after.

Trip

Thanks..

Hopefully it won't be "rust-welded" in the housing. It should have been checked when my engine was built 9months ago. But you never know

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What you might find is the housing is hard to remove due to the sealant used. Apart from that it should just fall out. Put the new one in the right way up.

Trip

I was even considering not to put one in the first place. After all my car will be only used for hillclimb in weather between 15deg up to 30deg.

Braveheart

You will get much better flow and cooling if you fully remove the thermostat which may suit your cause.... engine will take a long time however to heat. If I decide to use my car purely for track use, I will run without thermostat.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I had read that this wasn't a good idea because the block then heats unevenly and you risk warping it. - I don't know how much truth there is in that, it could be one of those problems you only get with a certain type of engine.

P

pulsarboby

george is sort of correct with above!

do not run car without a stat fitted....people think that its just for heating the coolant system quicker which is not the case.
the stat effectively holds up the water flow in the rad long enough for it to be cooled, by removing it altogether the water will then flow too quickly and will not get cooled sufficiently, this then has a knock on effect and the coolant will gradually get hotter and hotter and eventually lead to a boil up.

Trip

I read about it on different car forums and many suggest to run it with thermostat for the same reason you are saying.

brunt_star

i think the thermostat on my pulsar might be stuck open? the temperature has always sat at halfway for the water and at about 80-90 oil temp depending on driving.. but i was crusing at about 60 mph on the motorway the other night and noticed the oil temp was around 70 and the water temp was dropping.. the engine sounded fine.. i pulled off the motorway and drove the rest of the way home at 30-40 mph and the temperature started coming back up again.. since then it behaves the same way.. takes forever to start warming up but will eventually warm.. then if im just cruising at 60mph the temp starts dropping?
the only thing i can think is thermostat.. so i've got one.. tried putting it on before but the water inlet/thermostat cover was stuck on tight as f**k and it was getting dark so put it back together till tomorrow..

has this ever happened on anyones elses pulsar?