How to get wire from engine bay into car - help

geetee

I'm trying to run a wire from the engine bay to my AFR gauge.

There's already a boost pipe for the boost gauge run through a rubber grommet just up from the accelerator pedal - but no matter how I try I cannot get this wire to appear on the other side. I've tried from the engine bay and from inside.

Now I'm fed up of being upside down in the footwell :roll:

I thought about running the signal wire to the wiring on the ecu but that looks fiddly as hell to get out.

Would it help to remove the inner wheel arch? Can you access the cable runs by doing that?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

JU5TY

You need to remove the wheel arch trim, theres where the rubber grommet just up from the accelerator pedal leads to. You then have another hole which gives you access to the engine bay.

C

Crazy

If you are wiring in Air - fuel gauge then you should be connecting it to the wires near the ECU, well thats were Shaun fitted mine :wink:

PM him and he will be able to tell you which PIN it was, IIRC it was PIN 19 but thats not a defo :)

But then again maybe you have a different Air - Fuel gauge to me :roll:

JU5TY

geetee said:
You mean the trim on the outside of the arch or inside the arch?
:lol:

The trim on the inside, it would be a pretty small hole if it was behind the outside wheel arch trim. :lol: :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Undo the rear half of the wheel arch liner and you'll see where the hose comes out of the grommet by the accelerator pedal, then you should be able to feed it through a small hole in the metal work into the engine bay :wink:

geetee

I know it's pin 19 on the ECU connector but I really don't fancy disturbing that rat's nest of wiring around it :) And I'm a fat barsteward and don't fancy lying in the footwell trying to solder in that annoyingly tiny space :lol:

Thanks for the help guys... sounds like it'll be easy once I get the arch out. I've already found and prepped the signal wire from the Lambda so should be a quick job.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

kyepan

or you could straighten a coat hanger, tape the wire to it and poke it in between the wires that go straight through the big rubber grommit in the bulk head It's found just underneat the air con pipes, on the right hand side (looking in the bonnet way round) get it in there.. Push and it should appear behind the sound proofing in the foot well around the bottom of the glove box.. peel back sound proofing... pull.. cable comes through.. job done.

geetee

thanks kyepan

looked at that... then couldn't be bothered running the wire behind the dash to the other side.

I'll go with plan A tomorrow. I have to have the wheel off anyway to have attempt 2 at changing the PS belt now I have the right length belt :roll:

So I'm not losing any time really :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)