How To Change Clutch master cylinder

J

justin666

As there is only bits and bobs around the site concerning the “how to” change a clutch master cylinder I thought I would put a quick guide together. Ive changed mine over the past weekend so while the pain of it is still fresh in my head I thought I has best get all the info down.

I don’t care what anyone says, this is not a couple of hours job!!! :evil: Everything will get in your way and try to prevent you from changing the thing so try to be patient and it will all come together in the end.

Right, how I did it.

Firstly, clamber and wedge yourself in the drivers side footwell and remove the pin that holds the cylinder rod fork to the pedal. This can be a bit fiddly but on the grand scale of things it’s the least of your worries!

Next job is to clear a path to the top of the Master cylinder. Now without taking the whole inlet manifold or plenum off you will only manage to remove a few bits and bobs to allow you just enuf room to attack it. I bare in mind you will be moving stuff about with brake fluid in so BE CAREFULL ya don’t get it on ya paint work.!!

I started by undoing the 14mm union bolt that connects brake servo pipework. This is the one at the back left of the engine bay and it mounted on a bracket that’s bolted to the top of the strut. Undo the bolt, remove the bracket and wedge the pipe over by the plenum. You should be able to see the master cylinder just behind the plenum with the pipe moved out the way.

To give a little more clearance I found it best to raise the engine slightly as later down the line you will be greatfull for the extra couple of inches this gives.!! With the car safely on axel stands place a jack (with a good sized block of wood) up under the engine and jack up to the sump. You need to jack to the point where it just starts to take the weight of the engine. Then you can go about removing the driver side engine mount. Once out the way you should be able to jack the engine up about 3 to 4 inches above its normal height but while doing this check to make sure everything is clear and nothing is catching.

Back to that pesky cylinder now. Remove the master cylinder bottle from its bracket and then get rid of the bracket as well. Disconnect the pipe between the bottle and the cylinder at the cylinder end being careful with any fluid that’s still in there.

Undo the small union bolt that connects into the end of the master cylinder. This is a pain to get onto as only a short 10mm spanner will get in the gap. After about an hour of fractions of turns the bolt will be out the way and the solid clutch pipe can be moved carefully out the way.

Using a long 12mm socket you should just about be able to get onto the top nut that holds the master to the bulkhead. Then dive under the car, wedge your arm up behind the engine and undo the bottom nut. The Cylinder should now be loose . However, no matter how much you wiggle the thing about it will not come out due to everything getting in the way. This is where I dived back in the footwell again and removed the fork from the cylinder shaft by just spinning it off. With that out the way I found I was just able to get the cylinder out from under the car. I don’t think it will come out the top.

Feel free at this point to have a ciggy and wonder where the past few hours have gone. You will also notice lots of small cuts on your hands.!!!!

Refitting then….

Basically in reverse order  one tip tho. On the new cylinder I pushed the rod in and the placed a zip tie round the fork and secured it to the casting. This in effect makes the whole unit a lot shorter and a damn site easier to get back in. Once the new cylinder is roughly in place and the rod ready to go through the bulkhead I just snipped the zip tie :D

One the cylinder is mounted in place, loosely replace the top and bottom mounting nuts. You will need some movement in the cylinder to get the small union bolt back in. Again, Fidley as anything to do and be careful not to cross thread it. Do not do this up tight just yet, once started, tighten up the top and bottom retaining nuts and then nip up the union.

Replace bottle bracket, replace bottle and pipe to master cylinder, reconnect brake pipe union and bracket, attach engine mount, Reconnect fork to clucth pedel, fill master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid, bleed the system from the slave and jobs a good un :D

I think that pretty much covers everything.. if there is anything I have missed then by all means add it in :D

J.

gtir bean

i just done mine today and it does come out the top so you dont need to do anything with the engine mount etc.i left the fork on also.it is very tight to get it out but if you turn it about it will go eventualy.it took me about 2hr without rushing.the worst part is re adjusting the rod in the footwell.my back has an imprint of the sill in it now!:?

Studlife

how did you go about rotateing the rod as it boggled me i cracked the locknut but couldn't figure out how to twirl the rob

J

justin666

Studlife said:
how did you go about rotateing the rod as it boggled me i cracked the locknut but couldn't figure out how to twirl the rob
Some very thin long nose pliers work a treat :thumbsup: Its a bit tight and you can only rotate it a bit at a time but small adjustments make a fairly big difference.

J.

OZ-Racing

Nice one Justin, just done mine.

No need to shift the engine or remove the fork, as gtir bean says.

With the help of the guide it took us 1 hour to remove the master cylinder (through the top with some wiggling and jiggling), 1 hour to smoke a few ciggies strip and clean it all down and fit the repair kit, then 1 more hour to refit and bleed through.
I don't have a single cut on my hands, which I'm amazed by :-D

I'm not sure why people bother buying a new master cylinder (unless they have cracked the housing) because the repair kit makes it as good as new. You wouldn't believe the amount of muck inside it :shock:

P.S. very good tip, definitely use a zip tie to hold the fork in when refitting the cylinder, makes it so easy :thumbsup:

G

GTI-R Kid

Anyone got any photos to go along with the instructions above? Suspect that ours needs doing now.

Also, anyone got a part number for the repair kit? Am I correct in saying it can be sourced from a Nissan garage?

Thanks.

OZ-Racing

GTI-R Kid said:
Also, anyone got a part number for the repair kit? Am I correct in saying it can be sourced from a Nissan garage?
Master cylinder repair kit (includes new piston) 306112T025 £16.21 + VAT
Slave cylinder repair kit for 1990-92 GTIR (3/4" bore cylinder - includes new piston) P/N 3062126E25 £8.38 + VAT

Yes, get them direct from Nissan :-D

G

GTI-R Kid

Cheers for that.

Chalk up another job that now needs doing. :doh:

geetee

Been trying to do mine this afternoon, it's all undone and ready to come out, but no matter which way I manoeuvre the thing it ain't coming out. Can't seem to get enough room to pull the rod through the firewall fully.

Any tips?

Ta
Graham

>> Oh and to further cheer me up, it looks like I've got a puncture too!

P

pulsarboby

when i do these i release the front engine mount and drop the engine down, got much more access that way!

P

pulsarboby

not really, just put a trolley jack under the sump with a lump of wood on top.
jack it up to take weight of engine, then release the 3 mount bracket bolts and the one through the mount itself!
you may also need to remove the bolt on the front crossmember mount and top hose,
then just let jack down slowly to gain far better access to it.
just check theres no pipes or wires snagging as you let it down!

Garef

I done it, well me and my mate done it, so proud of myself.
Learning new things about this car slowly but surely, it's more fun that way.

GTi-R23

I remember doing this a while back, I managed to take the cover off the plenum with engine in place (dropping engines scare me, so didn't fancy that route) was fairly straightforward with that out of the way, very difficult accessing the bolts that hold the plenum in place though!

Garef

Thats exactly the way we done it, I mean it was a tight squeeze and a few scraped knuckles, but we didn't have to move the engine at all.

vizi0n

Done it today MC+SC, 4h

My hands hurt! I did it alone this morning and it took me about 3h30-4h00 to do uncluding the new slave and bleeding.

It was a pain to remove the old master as I had a hard time reaching the bottom bolt, but I undid all those brackets that hold the big hose behind the plenum and moved the hose away while working. Made it alot easier. I managed to remove the cylinder from the top by twisting and pulling. When the fork got stuck in the firewall I just pulled it by hand to make it pass through.

To put the new one in was another story. The god damn fork would not get in the firewall. Finally got it after a few minutes of calming down (was swearing alot about those stupid japanese engineers... it has to fit but we don't give a damn about changing it later) Finally, I undid the bottom left 6mm hex bolt that holds the plenum cover, this made me more room to work. While dropping the master in, I was pushing the fork to aim the hole so it fits right in. BINGO!

Then it was a matter of aligning the fork inside on the pedal bracket, the push the master all the way and bolt it back in reverse order of removal.

Thanks for the tips guys :)

GTIR Si

Changed my master cylinder last night not a nice job at all infact id bee safe to say i dont ever want to do one ever again lol :thumbsup:

Godzilla

have we decided which is the easiest way of doing this, dont fancy dropping my engine to be honest, if i was to take off the plenum cover will it give much more room and does it need a new gasket if removed etc