how strong is a sr20det

rossdj1983

im about to drop the motor out of my pulsar and put a few quid into it, if i were to aim for the 400bhp mark what internals should i keep and what should in bin in favour of?from what i gather the crank and rods should be ok for this is this right??

G

gtir dazza

i may be wrong but i have heard the con rod are about the weakest part of the sr20det........i may be wrong though

Ricky_GTi-R

change the bolts, head studs and uprate to a 1.2mm steel gasket and you will be fine, assuming the fuelling is stop on.

gtirx2

I was just on about the rods but yes you should do the head gasket aswell and you should change the pistons really if you are aiming for 400bhp i have seen wiseco pistons in the states for as cheap as £255 and i think the cometic head gaskets are a good price to, that and the rod bolts and you should have a pretty solid motor.But its the other thing like oil pump, timeing chain, big/main end shells etc you want to consider if you want a reliable engine.

Ricky_GTi-R

gtirx2 said:
I was just on about the rods but yes you should do the head gasket aswell and you should change the pistons really if you are aiming for 400bhp i have seen wiseco pistons in the states for as cheap as £255 and i think the cometic head gaskets are a good price to, that and the rod bolts and you should have a pretty solid motor.But its the other thing like oil pump, timeing chain, big/main end shells etc you want to consider if you want a reliable engine.
The internals should be fine on 400hp if setup correctly, Rob ran this much power for 2 years before it decided to pop, and thats only because he got a little excited with boost;-) If the fuelling and map is done properly, uprated rod bolts, head studs and a good gasket (cometic) are all that will be needed to be reliable.

gtirx2

Yer i agree but if you going to strip the engine to change the rod bolts i would stick a set of forged pistons in it just for the peace of mind.
If hes got the money of cource.

Ricky_GTi-R

gtirx2 said:
Yer i agree but if you going to strip the engine to change the rod bolts i would stick a set of forged pistons in it just for the peace of mind.
If hes got the money of cource.
Yeah if he has the money to do it then yeah why not, but if he doesnt have the extra money it isnt really necessary to change them for forged ones.

rossdj1983

ive been looking at other people spec and alot seem to go for the 87mm, i take it this is a common thing to do? as regaurds the top end of the motor whats the treid and tested thing to be doing to it?

Ricky_GTi-R

Yeah 87mm forged pistons seem to be the most common route, relatively cheap and not too much maching to get them to fit. 1.2mm head gasket, uprated rod bolts and uprated head studs as said. Im sure Rob used standard cams etc for his 400hp so no worry's with changing cams etc.

rossdj1983

call me lazy for not checking myself, but roughly what sort of money should i be looking to spend if i do my homework?

rossdj1983

forged pistods, arp bolts on rods and head, 1.2mm gasket, desent oil pump, and all the usual rebuild bits i.e. cam chain, plugs etc