how long before your fans kick in?

guider

having a bit of trouble with the r over heating when stood in traffic. my fans dont kick in till the h point on the temp gauge. any body else come across this?

stumo

I'm pretty sure the fans come on at 95deg and go off at 90.

Get a infra red thermometer and see what the temps are like when they come on (and go off)

They're switched on by the ecu, maybe the sensor isn't working correctly (you can test this with the ir thermometer), if you plug a Consult into the car it gives the temp in deg.

P

pulsarboby

yes mine does the same but the engine isnt actually hot, ive run an independant temp gauge to check.

i dont run a stat in my car, has yours been removed at any time? if so then that could be the prob as the stat is not just designed for fast heating when engines cold, it also holds up water (even when its open) which stops the water circulating too quickly through the rad when it needs to be cooled.
in other words the water will run hotter as its passing through quicker, this could fool the ecu temp sender into kicking in late!

forgot to add that before stat was removed the fans were coming on as normal around middle, so it is a possibility!

Last edited by a moderator:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I have no idea when mine kick in and out, but I know that if I leave it idling they will kick on and off well before it reaches the H on my gauges... in fact I don't think I've ever seen the temperature get above the middle of the gauge.

guider

had the inf thermometer on the r and it was bteween 85 - 95. might think about putting another temp gauge in. what have you got bob?

P

pulsarboby

had the inf thermometer on the r and it was bteween 85 - 95. might think about putting another temp gauge in. what have you got bob?
sorry do you mean in the way of temp gauges???
or whats on mine?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If the gauges seem to be reading right, then it's probably the other sender that has gone; the one that the ECU uses.

Spikey

Mine kick in when the needle has reached the end of the gauge. but the Aftermarket gauge reads 95. So something is not right. What temp is where on the Gauge?