Hotdog is ready!?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Just a quick question peoples; on the way in to work this morning the light came on to tell me that my hotdog is cooked... now before anyone gets smart, there is no cat on the car and I know that the sensor was cut off and there's just a wire cut tucked behind the heatshield.

So is this likely to just be a short caused by snow from the road, or could there be another problem that I need to address?

I'm not especially worried about it at the moment, but I did think it was funny that it was telling me the cat was cooking when there is still snow on the bonnet and roof!

splmum

... I know that the sensor was cut off and there's just a wire cut tucked behind the heatshield. ...
Probably worth checking that it is NOT shorting, electrical shorts have been know to cause fires.

Check it, if ok, piece of mind.

Other than that, do a code check to see if anything else is wrong and this is just an associated problem.

jjs

you can disconnect the connector under the drivers seat and remove the wiring alltogether, im assuming its the one for the probe on the cat Jim;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I did look at doing that this morning, but couldn't work-out where it was by just putting my hands under the seat. I could only feel one cable connected to anything, and that went to the seatbelt. I figured the other wire was probable for seat heaters or something I didn't have, and the one I need was not within reach.

It's the first time in two years I've seen the light do anything, and I suspect it's mostly to do with me insisting on getting on the boost in snow just to prove how much better the mighty GTi-R is than any of the 2WD cars at the moment. - I don't think there's a real fault, or at least nothing the upsets the driving. It's not an ECU signal anyway is it; it's just a loop to let you know that cat is hot and could set fire to something (or burn the hotdog if you're cooking one).
Worst case, I'll just take the bulb out.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
As the other Jim says, disconnect the wire under the drivers seat. It takes 5 mins to remove the seat and then its an easy job. I routed my AEM AFR to the same location at the same time as they are meant to be 2 foot away from the turbo. Its a good position with a pre-bunged hole. Install an AFR guage, you know you want to :)
Jim