Hmm

Foxdog

Was driving down to Duns at the weekend from Edinburgh and had a little blast down a B road straight with a Celica GT4, Not sure what mods it had but it was defo lowered, had an SSQV (as he blew it off when he passed me) and i seen an aftermarket exhaust.

To cut a long story short he was fractionally faster than me on the straight we had a blast down.

It was my intention to keep the R standard, dont think i can do this anymore after that

Smo

If you haven't already mate, run the 1bar loop and you'll leave it for dead next time!

pulsar kid

Mine was standard just did exhaust,air filter,pump and run the 1bar loop and it changed the whole car,
add a set of bobs plugs and youll be so happy with your R

whytie

I had a gt4 wrc the gearing in them is pretty different from an R. They are not the quickest of the mark but even a standard gt4 seems to pull like a train futher up the box. Much longer gears than a R, I was pretty impressed with mine.

Foxdog

Yeah it was pretty much a 60mph start till topout. it was on a VERY long straight B road, no overtaking or dangerous driving, im not really into that. the only thing my car has is a dump valve! he was only very slightly getting away, hardly even noticable but still...

would running a bar of boost not be bad for the engine, mines is probably running about 8-9 psi just now?

It was all good hearted, though my car 'stopped' at about 5k rpm in 5th, whatever speed that is.... and he was still pulling on, does this mean my car has a limiter on it?

Like said im not really that into racing on roads unless its safe and straight with no other cars so modifying hasn't really been in my books but after that... i feel i need to do some basic mods, maybe get a nice filter with cold feed from the bumper, exhaust and, if safe, that bar boost converstion. I had bncr8es put in on the full service a few weeks back, which should be good for those mods i think?

I love my pulsar, but feel i should maybe concentrate on mods after i tinker with the rattle in the roof!

Tim

Pff, racing in a straight line proves very little.

Know that the GTiR is alot more fun to the drive than the hulking great GT4 and be happy at that :thumb:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
If you add an after market air filter and exhaust it should release a decent amount of ponies.

As Tim says, its not all about straight line speed, cornering and braking is an important part of the GTiR's package (all in safe controlled environments)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, I prefer to overtake people on the bend... they don't expect my little rust-box to come around the corner like it's on rails and hit full boost to fly past them.

I'd say the car is still limited if you're hitting a wall in 5th gear, and I'd uprate the fuel pump to make sure it's delivering enough to the rail before putting the boost up... but other than that, I'd go for it.

Smo

Yeah it was pretty much a 60mph start till topout. it was on a VERY long straight B road, no overtaking or dangerous driving, im not really into that. the only thing my car has is a dump valve! he was only very slightly getting away, hardly even noticable but still...

would running a bar of boost not be bad for the engine, mines is probably running about 8-9 psi just now?

It was all good hearted, though my car 'stopped' at about 5k rpm in 5th, whatever speed that is.... and he was still pulling on, does this mean my car has a limiter on it?

Like said im not really that into racing on roads unless its safe and straight with no other cars so modifying hasn't really been in my books but after that... i feel i need to do some basic mods, maybe get a nice filter with cold feed from the bumper, exhaust and, if safe, that bar boost converstion. I had bncr8es put in on the full service a few weeks back, which should be good for those mods i think?

I love my pulsar, but feel i should maybe concentrate on mods after i tinker with the rattle in the roof!
After 60mph a standard Pulsar is gutless unfortunately. The 1bar loop won't harm your engine mate, a standard car will take that all day long.

The 'stopping' you felt was the 112mph speed limiter, which is standard on the imports. As for your mods, a 2.5" exhaust from turbo back, filter and the boost mod will make it feel like an entirely different car.

Good luck!

skiddusmarkus

The rattle in the roof might be caused by one of the reinforcing cross peices breaking the crappy weld onto the skin.Take the roof lining out and run the engine to check and use silica sealant to fix it if it is.

Foxdog

The rattle in the roof might be caused by one of the reinforcing cross peices breaking the crappy weld onto the skin.Take the roof lining out and run the engine to check and use silica sealant to fix it if it is.

Yeah it is this unfortunately,

Going to give it a bash next weekend but can only imagine how awkward the roof lining is to come off :(