HKS SSQV question (amongst other things)

Trondelond

Hello, I'll be joining the ranks of the R' owners shortly, and I've been looking into the clever upgrades I can make to it.

However, as I'm coming fron the Honda camp (I own a EG9 Civic that has been tuned a bit), I have no clue about turbocars. I've found a lot of good reads on these pages, but there's one thing I can't figure out.

When installing the SSQV dump valve (my way of celebrating my first turbo-car), I can't figure out where it goes. In some cases people on various forums say that you should replace the original valve, and just use two hoses for it.
In other threads we're talking about welding flanges onto the IC piping and whatnot.
Is the hose and the IC tubing on the same "line" here, or have I got it all wrong? I can't figure this out. And I _have_ read a little. I'm probably just dumb :doh:

I've been reading a little in the tuning faq, and i'm going to order a few items from Greenline in Japan;

Greddy Profec Spec II
Apexi SAFC Neo
HKS Turbo Timer Type 0 (probably as useful as the SSQV, but hey)
And the SSQV kit for the Sunny.

Does this seem like a good idea for starters?

Next on the list would be a FMIC, Walbro fuelpump and bigger injectors.

I'm seeing a lot of FMICs on eBay, and I'm wondering if the Forge kit really is worth double the money?

Thanks in advance for any comments :)

Last edited:

Trondelond

With the emanage, I'll need a small truckload of harnesses and such?

Thought I'd go with the Apexi, since I've been using their V-AFC II and it has proven quite handy :)

As far as the turbo timer - I'm assuming it's not _bad_ for the turbo?

rayman75

i really wouldnt bother with the safc as it only does your fuel mapping and not your timming.

emanage is the better and just as cheap option.

scottyd

turbo timer is good for your turbo, but it just does the same job as you sitting in the car after a journey for an extra minute to let the turbo cool down and oil to circulate, not really necessary, but it's up to you.

oh and there are e manages and such on ebay for quite cheap too i think.

Trondelond

rayman75 said:
i really wouldnt bother with the safc as it only does your fuel mapping and not your timming.

emanage is the better and just as cheap option.
Wouldn't you be able to adjust the timing by manually rotating the distributor as well? I suppose you'd have more options with the emanage though :p
I wasn't going for monster HP right away, just take it nice and easy.

But what harnesses would be needed for the emanage?

Trondelond

scottyd said:
turbo timer is good for your turbo, but it just does the same job as you sitting in the car after a journey for an extra minute to let the turbo cool down and oil to circulate, not really necessary, but it's up to you.

oh and there are e manages and such on ebay for quite cheap too i think.
When it comes to me, it's neccesary. I don't remember these things. Maybe the first week, then it's forgotten. And as long as it won't _hurt_ my baby, it'll go in :)

Trondelond

After reading a bit, it seems the Greddy emanage seems like a better idea than the SAFC, especially with the injector and timing harnesses (thanks for the input).

I suppose the ssqv question was too stupid to reply to.. :der:

There's another question that might be really dumb - if I go for say - Nismo injectors, can you go _too_ big? Seeing as how the the 555's and the 600's cost more or less the same.

And is the Walbro pumps the standard pump of choice, or are SARD pumps any good as well?

mattygti-r

walbro pump £80
emanage+leads around £200
nismo injectors 555s are fine
z32 afm
decent boost controller

job done

mattygti-r

greenline are fine, but you can get all theparts off the forum without the wait,

thinks ashills does fuel pumps