Hks boost controller install

scoobykiller

Hi guys going to be installing my hks evc 3 boost controller but I don't no where in one the vacuum pipes connect coming off from the boost solenoid could some body please tell me where I need to connect this pipe
Here is a picture below
There are two 6mm ports and one 4mm port coming off the boost solenoid the left hand port 4mm goes to the inlet plenum the center 6mm port goes to the wastegate actuator and I don't no we're the other 6mm port connect to? It say to connect to the compressor housing outlet pipe but only standard turbo I've got nowhere to to connect it to is there somewhere else I can connect this 6mm hose to

Thank guys

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I can tell you how I installed mine:
  • The 4mm port is there to measure the boost to the device; I connected that to the same line as my boost gauge.
  • Port 2 is the boost source for the actuator; so I used the port on the bottom of the plenum (i.e. took the existing line for the boost controller and connected it to the EVC instead).
    Ideally it should be as close to the compressor of the turbo to make the circuit as small as possible, but I don't think it makes much difference until you're running much more boost.
  • Port 3 then connects to the wastegate actuator.

It's worth remembering that the EVC III is discontinued; there are no spares available for it (and it is not compatible with any of the newer models). - Mine went in the bin as the solenoid started to stick and it stopped controlling the boost.
It worked well before it went wrong, but if I'm honest the only detriment to have a dawes-style device instead is that you can't play with the set point from the driver's seat.

scoobykiller

Ok pobody so let me just make sure I've got this correct before I start installing it
port 1: 4mm pipe i T-piece this into the black vacuum box on the right hand side of the inner wing I have my boost gauge t-pieced aswell to this will this cause any problems
port 2: 6mm I should connect this to the inlet plenum ( do I need to leave green restrictor pipe in place of the inlet plenum or should I just remove it completely
and last but no least port 3: straight forward connect to wastegate

is the above all correct
thanks

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I thought I had a picture somewhere, but I can't find it.

Yes. All the 4mm pipe is doing is giving the unit a boost reading, so connecting it to the factory boost gauge should mean that they both read the same (although they'll be different units).

You don't need the restrictor pipe. - I'd put it somewhere safe; if you don't want to use it again, it's probably valuable to someone that is trying to put the standard solenoid back.

The instructions are confusing, but it's pretty simple once you get your head around it.