Highest Power with a TMIC?

B

bean

I was just wondering who has the most power still running a TMIC, not thinking about FMIC at this stage.

Must still be running stock tubby as well.

Basically I'll be turning the boost up and re-mapping my R's standard ECU in the near future. Fuelling/timing etc...

Is ~320bhp possible?

I've got the normal air filter, zorst, boost upgrades (power mods) at the moment.

I know my clutch will probably give out soon after! :D

P

paulrandy

A friend of mine (Dean) who's not a forum member had his car RR'd at 308bhp@1.1bar at Interpro 2 months ago using a std top mount, only mods were JE pistons, Goose, K&N and Greddy boost controller.

C

caz

is it a standard top mount though????????
he never said, but people underestimate how strong the standard top mount is. i reckon 350 is poss, u just need the mods to get it up there :wink:

A

antilag

yeh i dont doubt it will take 350hp but from my point of view id rather have fewer parts maxin out and running at there limits or close too

C

caz

I'm of the opinion you can get say 350 brake two ways in an R. One: get a zorst filter, maybe cams, all the basic's, then buy a decent fuel and boost controller and go for a well set up 1.4+. Or two: invest in a set of forged pistons, get it all rebuilt wit an uprated turbo and go for the same power, but with less stress and less boost. Still using the top mount is gonna save you a bout the price of forged pistons. Why discount something when there nowt the matter with its performance. I liked Adrian Cash's last car's idea. 370 brake with only 1.2 and total drivability. Far enough I'm going way off topic, and he had a front mount, but I think I know what I mean :? :D

C

caz

I know what you U mean though, about having fewer parts maxed out, and Bean's original point was keeping the standard tubby. So he'll have to run higher boost. i suppose the only way to keep the top mount in his situ would be to take the engine to high stess levels

A

Anonymous

didn`t ivan or at least 1 of the guys in the southern hemisphere,have a tmic and about 450bhp?

B

bean

Thanks for the replies guys, I don't intend on stressing my car to breaking point, I was just curious what people views were.

The way I see it too many people go straight for FMIC's without exploring the capabilities of the TMIC.

I will keep the stock tubby and IC for now, whilst re-mapping I'll be monitoring ACT's, fuelling and checking for detonation.

My current plans are to go no farther than 1.2bar (with fuelling spot on) and see how it goes, I may well turn the boost down if I need to for safety.

C

caz

The way I see it too many people go straight for FMIC's without exploring the capabilities of the TMIC
I agree mate. Although even after all of the crap I said above, the front mount is still a good idea. Its just an initial cost that COULD be left out.

My current plans are to go no farther than 1.2bar (with fuelling spot on) and see how it goes, I may well turn the boost down if I need to for safety.
That should be spot on with the stock turbo and cooler, you'll just have get decent controller's and make sure it set up spot-on

B

bean

caz said:
That should be spot on with the stock turbo and cooler, you'll just have get decent controller's and make sure it set up spot-on
I realise if you're going for really big power you're going to need an FMIC but I'm gonna test how good the stock TMIC is first, I reckon it should hold out past 300bhp no worries.

I won't be using any additional fuel/boost controllers, I will be be re-writing the map in the standard ECU, adjusting timing and fuelling that way.

C

caz

I reckon it should hold out past 300bhp no worries.
I deffo think so, totally agree mate

I won't be using any additional fuel/boost controllers, I will be be re-writing the map in the standard ECU, adjusting timing and fuelling that way.
Sounds complicated, let me know how you get on

323GT-R

There's an 'R with the original intercooler converted to be front mounted running 420+ BHP, so there's nothing wrong with the intercooler itself, just maybe the position. My mate has one stuck on the front of his Rover too, and he's running 320BHP at 1.3 bar through it.

B

bean

I've seen people front mount their stock TMIC, good idea but I reckon I'd get the biggest FMIC available if wanted to go down that route.

Sticking to TMIC in it's current location for now. :)