High pitched "sreaming air noise"

tomble

hi, the topis is the only way i could describe the noise. i bought my R a week ago, and this noie has alwyas been there. it comes on, on boost and gets prgressively louder and more screamy as you go up the revs.
i wasnt aware of this being normal, or whether or not its a faulty standard boost gauge (i guess this is air operated and could have a small leak?)

please tell me if i'm way off or not :?

thanks guys

JIMMYBACK

sound like a boost leak to me :D ....just follow the noise on tick over if poss...... just use some washing up liquid a small amount on the pipes.............if one of the hoses is leaking the washing up liquid will bubble
hope this helps
jimmy :D

tomble

ahh right, can this cause damage of not treated immediately? also could it be any one of the pipes? or are there common places where this might occur.
the noise is highly irritating i might say !! :lol:

JIMMYBACK

it could be a loose hose or a old perrished one its hard to say wivout having a look at it :D .i dont believe it will damage the car in any way (please feel free to point out if im wrong :shock: :lol: :lol: ) it just will cost u perfromance and more petrol :shock: :? :lol: :lol:

tomble

well i'll be under the bonnet first thing i tell you!
thanks alot for the advice, shall post my progress back when i'm done :)

cheers tomble.!

MarkTurbo

JIMMYBACK B said:
sound like a boost leak to me :D ....just follow the noise on tick over if poss......
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How many cars boost on idle you bellend :mrgreen:

JIMMYBACK

MarkTurbo said:
JIMMYBACK B said:
sound like a boost leak to me :D ....just follow the noise on tick over if poss......

it late mark u nod gobbler :shock: yer i know wot u are say but if it is a boost leak it will still leak at idle.wot do u expect him to do get a friend to drive it while he hangs out the window n check it from there :? :p :roll: :wink:

MarkTurbo

It wont always leak at idle :wink: And your washing up liquid plan is no good either as engines suck air in on idle so you would never get any bubbles :wink:

Did you skive off all your science lessons at school or something :lol:

JIMMYBACK

MarkTurbo said:
It wont always leak at idle :wink: And your washing up liquid plan is no good either as engines suck air in on idle so you would never get any bubbles :wink:

Did you skive off all your science lessons at school or something :lol:
science wots that it worked for me :shock: :roll: :oops:

M

momogtir

MarkTurbo said:
JIMMYBACK B said:

owned...

L

leeboy

check the alan head bolts around the inlet manifold, mine were a little loose, and when it was boosting it sounded like a fanny fart type of noise

tomble

ok, checked pipes for holes etc, tightened jubilee clips, checked allen nuts on manifold, and the noise remains!
only now boost is sometimes "lumpy" and it feels like its sometimes holding back alot...
any ideas, getting rather worried now as i only bought the car last tuesday :(

JIMMYBACK

tomble said:
ok, checked pipes for holes etc, tightened jubilee clips, checked allen nuts on manifold, and the noise remains!
only now boost is sometimes "lumpy" and it feels like its sometimes holding back alot...
any ideas, getting rather worried now as i only bought the car last tuesday :(
u done a fault check...im sure mark will let u know how to do it :shock: :roll: :wink:

MarkTurbo

JIMMYBACK B said:
u done a fault check...im sure mark will let u know how to do it :shock: :roll: :wink:
No need, its at the top of this page under "fault code check procedure" :wink: Are you bloody blind or something :lol: :lol:

Sorry jimmy :mrgreen: I thought it was about time you had some abuse thats all :twisted:

JIMMYBACK

MarkTurbo said:
JIMMYBACK B said:
No need, its at the top of this page under "fault code check procedure" :wink: Are you bloody blind or something :lol: :lol:

Sorry jimmy :mrgreen: I thought it was about time you had some abuse thats all :twisted:
why thank u mark much appericated :shock: :lol: :lol:

c20ona

my brother got a screaming noise when he boosted a few months back and it was the dump valve leaking on high boost. did you check this ?.

kenny

I second the above opinion, especially if you're running an HKS SSQ with the gold high frequency insert, or in fact if the scew on it has been opened so much it is dumping at hardly any boost.