high oil presure

rossdj1983

at idle my oil presure is around 4, when taken to 3000rpm it goes up to 8, im wondering would my oil cooler or norris designs oil pump contribute to this?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Norris just change the oil pump rotors when doing a rebuild, just like 99.9% of tuners, dispite what hey might tell you.

I rebuild my engine last year and only replaced the oil pump rotors (amoungst a few other odds 'n' sods), my oil pressure does the same as yours does. I wouldn't worry about it to much.

rossdj1983

so when its being revved it going up to 8 is ok? soz for all these questions ive put up over the last few days- after spending what i have on my beloved i want it right as you guys can imagine

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
When started from morning cold my pressure goes straight up to 8 (8+ with fresh oil change) at idle but it will come down to 6 by the time the water temp creeps up, then when correct temp and normal driving it will idles at about 4, sits around the 5.5 mark when under 4000 rpm and goes up to 8+ when the revs are taken to 6 - 7000 rpm.

G

Green Dwarf

stevepudney said:
When started from morning cold my pressure goes straight up to 8 (8+ with fresh oil change) at idle but it will come down to 6 by the time the water temp creeps up, then when correct temp and normal driving it will idles at about 4, sits around the 5.5 mark when under 4000 rpm and goes up to 8+ when the revs are taken to 6 - 7000 rpm.
Thanks Steve, succinctly put, now I know, mine does the same, so assume ok. Albeit I get the same figs as you only on Silkolene Pro R or S. I noticed a significant reduction in Indicated pressure when I ran it on cheap semi synthetic for a hundred mile b4 I changed it for Silkolene.

Keira

265bhp gtir said:
mine does not go up at all it is a 4 when cold the drops to 2or3 and just sits there rite up the revs
chances are the pressure sender for the gauge is fooked.

on an engine i had it used to mess about, changed the sender when it went in a different car and all sorted again

C

crash bandit

I fitted an aftermarket oil pressure gauge to my R and was shocked at what I saw. From cold the pressure went straight to 100 psi, as the engine warms up it does drop alittle but not by much. At full operating temp......idle 35 psi., 1500 rpm, 70 psi, above 2000 rpm, 90 psi. Could the pressure relief valve be playing up?