High mileage std turbo - how inefficient compared to a new one

dombat

My turbo has done 92K, it rarely smokes (an occasional puff) and i treat it well (e.g warm up cool down).

Taking into account the mileage, would it be correct to assume that a new standard turbo would still spin & boost better because it hasn't had the wear n tear as well as carbon build up and 14 years of use?

youngsyp

My stock turbo has 97k miles on it and doesn't smoke (famous last words...). It's been running around 1.1 bar for the last 2 years or so and spins up very well.

The only real way to tell if a new turbo would respond better is to fit on and see !

As for your current turbo, if you use good oil, don't go excessive on the boost levels and warm it up etc... wear should be negligible. And in your case, you can see how worn it is from the puffs of smoke !

The other things that would change with age/usage are carbon build up on the turbine wheel, possibly making the turbine wheel heavier and creating more drag. That would affect spool time I'd expect. However, the 92k miles on the bearings could have loosened them up so, that would improve spool time....

So, I guess it's a question there is no definitive answer for ! :lol:

Paul

gtirjoey

mabe slight better response, if you are after a bit less lag go for gt28r..i will be selling mine in a few weeks!