High idle speed problems ( possible causes )

A

AJ4

There are loads of different things that can cause high or uneven idle -

1 : IAS Idle Air Screw. Its part of the IAA ( Idle Air Adjust unit which sits under the right hand side of the plenum chamber ). Used for setting the base idle speed. Is a slotted screw on the side of the IAA and can be seen under the plenum chamber.

2 : AAC Auxiliary Air Control valve. Also part of the IAA unit, this is the main solenoid that the ECU uses ( in conjunction with the Throttle Position Sensor ) to regulate the idle speed. Looks like a round tube fixed onto the IAA unit.

3 : FICD Fast Idle Control Device. Also part of the IAA unit, designed to raise the idle speed whenever the engine comes under heavy load, ie, when aircon is switched on etc. Looks like a small round tube with hex shaped sides, screws into the IAA right next the AAC.

4 : IAR Idle Air Regulator. Sits underneath plenum, works like an automatic choke ( but just for air ). Always switches on whenever you start the car and works on temperature, cold means open ( higher idle ) and gradually closes when intake heats up ( 3 minutes or so ? ). It has a heater inside so will always come on whether the engine is hot or cold and gradually close over the 3 minutes or so. Looks like a small cone with a disc stuck on the end with a pipe on each side.

5 : Worn throttle butterflies / throttle housing. Air leaking past butterflies or leaking in through the spindles.

6 : Throttle balance screws. One screw on each intake, used to balance the four butterlies at idle, can cause high idle if all are adjusted too far out. Can be found on top of the throttle body next to the injectors.

7 : Vacuum ports. One port on each intake that is used with a vacuum guage for balancing the throttle bodies ( see #6. ) Should have rubber boots blanking them off but have been known to disappear... Found next to the throttle balance screws on top of the throttle housing.

8: Igniton too far advanced at idle. Should be 20' +/- 2' for a standard car.

9 : Throttle butterfly stops incorrectly adjusted. Stops the butterflies from closing properly. One screw for each pair of butterflies, usually sealed in place and a right beach to adjust :D

10 : Accelerator pedal / cable not adjusted properly. Butterflies not closing fully, similar to #9.

11 : TPS Throttle Position Sensor fault or maladjusted. Gives the ECU wrong indication of whether the engine should be idling or not, see also # 2.

12 : Blow off valve leaking. Allowing air to blow past diaphram under vacuum.

13 : Air leak from any of the 3 billion pipes that connect everything above. The pipes are all rubber and do perish over time....

14 : Inlet manifold gasket or Plenum gasket leak.

15 : Faulty Lambda sensor. Used to set the mixture to approx 14.7:1 at low engine speeds / loads. Can cause mixture problems and uneven idle. Can be found on turbo exhaust ( dump ) pipe, bottom left hand side of the engine.

16 : Aftermarket fuel controller set incorrectly. Can be a problem on Apexi PowerFC ECU's where the 'electronic' base idle is set too low for the actual 'mechanical' setting. Causes the idle to hunt and jump around as it tries to achieve an impossible target.

Feel free to add your own thoughts and discoveries... :D

Ross.

Keira

AJ4 said:
6 : Throttle balance screws. One screw on each intake, used to balance the four butterlies at idle, can cause high idle if all are adjusted too far out. Can be found on top of the throttle body next to the injectors.

either nissan did away with the screws at some point or this one was made late on a friday afternoon and the chap doing it wanted to nip off sharpish cos this inlet hasn't got them :?

another throttle body i've got has, as has my black car :?

A

AJ4

Weird !! Funny how it still has the vacuum ports for balancing, but no screws... :? Never seen that before ! 8)

OZ-Racing

Mine has the adjustment screws with little black blanking plugs.

But what is the thing just below it in the picture (looks like a black valve cap)? Cos one of my mates's car came with boost hose daisy-chained between all of them, then going dorect to the gauge :?
Is that what they're meant for?

Keira

AJ4 said:
Weird !! Funny how it still has the vacuum ports for balancing, but no screws... :? Never seen that before ! 8)

thats what i thought :? must've been a friday afternoon job :lol:

A

AJ4

Oz - the four rubber boots cover vacuum pipes that are used to balance the butterflies using a vacuum guage. The pipes lead to tiny holes on the head side of the butterflies, you shouldn't try and measure boost there ! You should measure boost before the butterflies, on the plenum side, not after. If it works for your mate then I'd tell him to leave it, but its a bit of a strange method and it shouldn't actually work... :D

Dooie - yes :)

OZ-Racing

Would that be the reason why his boost gauge flaps all over the place when on vacuum, but settles once the boost picks up a bit. I think that after it has daisy chained across the jobbies (technical term) it actually goes to the correct pick-up point :?

I will point this out to him, thanks. 8)

I also measure the boost from one of these thingies with no problems (I think) if you're meant to measure it before here where's the best place to do it?

T

Tart

Mine idles fine at cold until normal operating temp is reached. Then it idles at around 1500....... any ideas???

C

Crazy

Just like mine but mine sits around 1250rpm - 1300rpm :?

Any one :?:

A

AJ4

If it speeds up when hot then its probably the AAC or FICD not closing properly. Disconnect them and see if it makes a difference. Also check all the other things on the list, particularly the base idle settings and things that can upset it.

You might find that your base idle is mechanically set too high, and when the engine is cold the AAC valve is holding it low with the automatic idle adjust circuit.

T

Tart

yep, i will be havin another fun filled day wiv the R. missis is gonna kill me.........

B

blitzboy

Hey guys im new to this forum and had my R for about 2 weeks, it idles when warm at 1400 rpm, this idle screw, is this located to the right of the plenum chamber underneath? and can you get to it without taking the stock intercooler off?

B

blitzboy

cheers, hmmm better take that intercooler off then , no long screwdriver available lol :)

GTIR-LOZ

just a quick question about this when you disconnect the throttle position sensor to adjust the idle speed and rev it up and all that biz when the idle settles what is controlling this is it the aac?? looking at a spare unit its hard to work outwhich way the air flows is it in the side of the adjustment screw and through the hole created by turning the screw or is it the other way round and by opening the screw the air comes into the area where the adjust screw is??:?

and if you buy the whole unit does it come with the aac and the ficd on it??

and does anyone know if you can do a resistance check through the two valves and what the values would be??