Help!

Clarky

Having quite a few problems with my pulsar GTiR, only had it a few months and its drivin me mad!

Firstly, getting the ignition timing set is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare. I do the whole routine as described in the serivice manual then set it to 20deg BTDC and it runs like a pig. If I set it without doing the routine it seems to run pretty fine - is this normal?!

Also recently, I seem to be getting oil shooting out of what I assume was originally a breather pipe on the rocker cover but is now a small air filter directly above the ignition coil.

On top of this I have had problems with my tachometer not reading correctly all the time, sometimes it'll shoot up as high as the redline. Had the ecu out and bypassed the signal wire in the loom from the ecu to the tachometer with another wire to see if it was that but it was giving the exact same dodgy readings. I assume its the feed from the coil but am not sure which wire on the coil goes to the ecu? Also will this affect the ecu's running of the engine if it thinks the engine is running higher rev's than it actually is?

Sorry for the long list, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys

Clarky

Last edited:

antgtir

The Tacho issues id say is more likely to do with your delimeter unit sending the wrong signals to the ecu / tacho.

Timing wise, Jim (cambellju) and I re did mine by turning the dizzy unit until 20degrees was found on the pulley wheel, tightened up and that was it. Didnt take long at all tbh and didnt run like a pig, actually its never run as good!

When you say it runs like a pig what are the symptoms?

Ant.

Clarky

Its way down on power. Its really strange I can set it a few times doing the routine of warming the engine, holding 2000rpm for 2mins, racing it 2-3 times, letting it idle for a minute, turning off the engine, disconnecting tps, starting engine, racing 2-3 times and then adjusting timing with light. Everytime I do it the dizzy's havin to be set at a different angle, on occasions I've had at a stage where I can't turn the dizzy cap enough to set the timing to 20deg BTDC! Then when I turn off the engine reconnect tps and start it up again the timing is shot to s***!

Yet if I set it without the routine it seems to run fine apart from a little blast of smoke at high rpm on gear change which ave just read is apparently normal. I just got worried when my m8 said he'd saw the blast of smoke on gear change and thought I'd try and set it again tonight using the routine above. Took it a spin to see if it was okay it misfired tremendously in second and had subsequently I had a clio 172 up my **** - the shame! lol. So am assuming its a bit messed up again so am gonna have to try and set it again in the morning without the routine in the hope that it'll be fine again.

I wasn't sure, I thought it might be the delimiter but I couldn't see how it could affect the tacho in any way when I looked at the wiring diagram - need to have another look!

Cheers

Last edited:

antgtir

There should be a little black box that has been soldered to the tacho wires, or at least thats what mine is like, it may be this that is causing the jumping issues with the tacho.

With regards to the timing jim and i just idled the car, loosened off the bolts for the dizzy (making sure the unit had been marked at its original position for reference) and turned the dizzy each way at first to establish which direction to go and then adjusted to suit. i must admit the dizzy didnt really move much at all but as it was moved you could see the pulley position reference changing.

Are you sure you are using the correct mark on the pulley as your 20 degree reference?

Ant.

Clarky

Yeah, as I say it runs fine when I set it doin it like u did it apart from a little puff of smoke on the shift at high rpm. I just read in the service book and on some forums that u had to set the base timing using the routine I described above and I could never get a decent result using this method.

Was really just making sure that by doing it without the routine was the right method of doin it and that the little puff of smoke was nothin to worry about. Also worried about the oil that seems to be shootin all over my engine bay :S It had a pretty big misfire tonight and I think thats what caused a big splurge of oil to be shot out. I changed the oil to Silkolene 10w 40 fully synthetic stuff when I got it a few months ago and it seems to have used alot of it spitting it out of my breather pipe on the rocker cover over the coil etc :S

Clarky

Yes and no. When I do it using the routine I said above I disconnect the tps and the timing is all over the place. When I don't do the routine above and therefore don't disconnect tps it run's ok?

Clarky

oh dear :( removed the plugs to see if that would give me any clues. No4 plug is covered in oil :S Am guessin this is either a head gasket, piston or piston ring? Takin the head off 2nite to investigate further

azboy

u need to set the timing at the right rpm it think 850 to 950 any higher revs ur timing will be well out and make ur car run like a pig and slow if cant get idle low enough even with the screw common on r's put in gear and lift the clutch till rpm is correct with someone setting the timing this will get it correct may burn ur clutch abit if not quick lol

Last edited:

Clarky

Can anyone tell me what size of hex socket I need for the headbolts on my R? Is it 11mm? And also could someone tell me somewhere I could get the socket? Taken me days to strip the thing down to get it to this stage and now am stuck at the final hurdle lol

Cheers guys