help with camshafts

nasserkhan123

can someone please help me as i am rebuilding my engine and was wondering if theses cams are any good
Tomei Procam Nissan SR20DET Pulsar GTIR Intake 260 12.0mm

Tomei Procam Nissan SR20DET Pulsar GTIR Exhaust 260 12.0mm

and what about these springs
Brian Crower Valve Springs for the SR20DET engines from the RNN14 GTiR Pulsar Included are 16 Outer Valve Springs & 16 Inner Valve Springs
and could i use the standard retainers or would it be best to get the Brain Crower titanium retainers.

Last edited:

nasserkhan123

and would it be better to have darton selves in my bottom block as i intend to use 87mm pistons is there an advantage of these selves would the enable me to handle more boost.

John

Any good for what?

You have made a load of random threads of late asking questions that are already answered if you bothered to use the search function, maybe time you tried using it?

I'm not being funny but if you want proper advice then be a lot more specific on what you are aiming for with your car power wise, its main use, its current spec and what sort of budget your on, only then can people provide you with valid and sensible answers.

skiddusmarkus

I have those cams in with Tomei double valve springs.I've been doing a lot of searching for info on cam timing lately and I read somewhere that you are not supposed to mix and match your cams/springs.The Procams are designed to be used with an adjustable pulley to dial them in as opposed to the Poncam which don't need it.
My engine feels like it has quite a bit more to give imo and I think its down to the fact that when the engine was built the cams were just set to zero.From reading up most cam manufacturers keep the same centreline(think that was the term)as standard so as the cams are generally larger duration it increases valve overlap by quite a lot, losing you lowdown torque and giving slower spool.Will be getting these dialled in shortly either by a local guy or Ed at Fusion and hoping for some decent gains lowdown even if its at the expense of some topend power.

I wouldn't bother with liners for 87mm pistons, think thats more for people fitting stroker kits.If its not done spot on it will wreck your engine.

Its funny you should ask about cams as I've just been reading this from another forum:

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?56174-cam-timing-and-advantages

nasserkhan123

Any good for what?

You have made a load of random threads of late asking questions that are already answered if you bothered to use the search function, maybe time you tried using it?

I'm not being funny but if you want proper advice then be a lot more specific on what you are aiming for with your car power wise, its main use, its current spec and what sort of budget your on, only then can people provide you with valid and sensible answers.
thanks for the info. the engine as it stands is in about a thousand pieces. what i want to achieve is build an engine that will give me about 450bhp, as far as budget is concerned about £5k.

nasserkhan123

I have those cams in with Tomei double valve springs.I've been doing a lot of searching for info on cam timing lately and I read somewhere that you are not supposed to mix and match your cams/springs.The Procams are designed to be used with an adjustable pulley to dial them in as opposed to the Poncam which don't need it.
My engine feels like it has quite a bit more to give imo and I think its down to the fact that when the engine was built the cams were just set to zero.From reading up most cam manufacturers keep the same centreline(think that was the term)as standard so as the cams are generally larger duration it increases valve overlap by quite a lot, losing you lowdown torque and giving slower spool.Will be getting these dialled in shortly either by a local guy or Ed at Fusion and hoping for some decent gains lowdown even if its at the expense of some topend power.

I wouldn't bother with liners for 87mm pistons, think thats more for people fitting stroker kits.If its not done spot on it will wreck your engine.

Its funny you should ask about cams as I've just been reading this from another forum:

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?56174-cam-timing-and-advantages
thanks for your reply mate, so will be getting the tomei procam camshafts with the Tomei adjustable cams, along with Tomei double valve springs and titanium retainers. would it make a difference on what valves i use?
Thanks again for the help.

No need for liners at 450bhp and if you do want to line the block avoid Darton liners as the quality is not great. Spec for 450bhp is pretty simple:
forged pistons,
stock rods,
acl bearings,
arp rod bolts,
cosworth head gasket with correct bore for pistons,
GT3071 with 0.82 A/R turbine housing, Z32 MAF,
Nistune,
700-800cc injectors,
decent clutch,
external oil cooler
upgraded elbow and exhaust
suitable air filter
front mount intercooler
colder plugs

I don't think cams/head work are essntial to hit the target but wouldn't hurt. I'm sure I've missed something and other people will have alternative views but that gives you an idea of what you're looking for.

skiddusmarkus

thanks for your reply mate, so will be getting the tomei procam camshafts with the Tomei adjustable cams, along with Tomei double valve springs and titanium retainers. would it make a difference on what valves i use?
Thanks again for the help.
I don't think you need the retainers/non standard valves for 450bhp and as maka said you don't necessarily need the cams doing.It will add quite a lot onto the build cost as chances are the head iwill need reshimming too so be prepared to wait weeks/months for Nissan to get them. Are you planning on increasing the rev limit or something?

Please don't take my opinions as fact though, I am a long way from being an engine tuner and just relating my own experiences.

nasserkhan123

No need for liners at 450bhp and if you do want to line the block avoid Darton liners as the quality is not great. Spec for 450bhp is pretty simple:
forged pistons,
stock rods,
acl bearings,
arp rod bolts,
cosworth head gasket with correct bore for pistons,
GT3071 with 0.82 A/R turbine housing, Z32 MAF,
Nistune,
700-800cc injectors,
decent clutch,
external oil cooler
upgraded elbow and exhaust
suitable air filter
front mount intercooler
colder plugs

I don't think cams/head work are essntial to hit the target but wouldn't hurt. I'm sure I've missed something and other people will have alternative views but that gives you an idea of what you're looking for.
Thanks for your reply but i want to have the head done as the engine is apart and might want to go higher on power later on. so saves me ripping the engine apart again.

nasserkhan123

I don't think you need the retainers/non standard valves for 450bhp and as maka said you don't necessarily need the cams doing.It will add quite a lot onto the build cost as chances are the head iwill need reshimming too so be prepared to wait weeks/months for Nissan to get them. Are you planning on increasing the rev limit or something?

Please don't take my opinions as fact though, I am a long way from being an engine tuner and just relating my own experiences.
thanks mate.

John

Hope your planning on a uprated box at that power, I can't see a stock one lasting very long especially if 450bhp is simply a interim power figure with a higher figure the ultimate goal!

nasserkhan123

Hope your planning on a uprated box at that power, I can't see a stock one lasting very long especially if 450bhp is simply a interim power figure with a higher figure the ultimate goal!
that's what i intend to do any recommendations for an upgraded box or rebuild service.

If you aim to go beyond 450bhp and keep some form of reliability I hope you have some seriously deep pockets. 90% of people that try never get there and 9% end up breaking the cars due to the money they have locked up in them.

I would ask how many bhp does your car currently have? Do have experience with cars that are in the 500bhp/tonne ball park?

nasserkhan123

yes mate i have driving experience, drive my brothers s3 pushing 430bhp most saturday nights. Also drive cousins evo 7 pushing 600bhp. drive friends chrome skyline gtr a few times a week. the car currently has 0 bhp as the engine is in about 1000 pieces but before that it was running standard with a front mount inter cooler.

To give you some idea, I just did some quick totting up based on a sensible/reliable 550bhp+ spec and I reckon you would be looking at least 5K in box and 12k in engine before you mapped it.