help with boost

pulsarmike

Hi guys,

Took my bleed valve off because i truely hate them, managed to get hold of a hks evcIII boost controller.

With the bleed valve on boost it used to spike then drop down e.g 1bar to 0.7-0.8 bar.

I thought it was the bleed valve what was doing this but after fitting the electronic one this is doing the same.

It has been pre set up to run 1bar on Low boost.

Now its spiking to 1.1, the overboost alarm is going off then its going back down to 0.6bar.

Is the actuator weak? Does the overboost alarm open the valve completely?

It is annoying the hell out of me, surely if its set to 1 bar it should hit 1 bar and stay there~? :der:

Any help would be great cheers :thumbsup:

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Er... what state is the solenoid in? Did you set it up properly by letting in learn your boost curves (using the switch on the back to put it into learn mode)?

My EVC III was doing something similar and the response from HKS was along the lines of "it's knackered and we don't make those any more; why not buy a new one instead?"... so I bought a dawes-style device and haven't looked back.

What it should do is hold the wastegate shut until it registers the set boost (1 bar in your case), then open the solenoid and let the wastegate actuator see the boost (which will obviously then open). There is a bit of a feedback loop as it should then close the solenoid if the boost drops too low. - There will be a bit of a tail-off on the boost, as you saw with the bleed valve... but nothing like you're getting with that EVC.

The overboost alarm is to let you know that you've gone past your set point and for whatever reason the EVC isn't controlling it. - In my case it was going off because the solenoid was sticking and therefore not opening (I think it was up to about 1.2 bar before I decided that lifting my right foot was a good idea); when it was working properly I never heard it.
Similarly, if it sticks open you'll only get whatever boost the actuator spring can hold (0.5 bar IIRC).

mikeyp

is the restrictor still in the pipe coming from the plenum? if this is the feed pipe to the solenoid then it won't be getting a true amount of boost and could cause issues. maybe...

pulsarmike

is the restrictor still in the pipe coming from the plenum? if this is the feed pipe to the solenoid then it won't be getting a true amount of boost and could cause issues. maybe...

no definatley not as ive replaced the pipe.

pobody, no ive not set it to learn mode, it was set to 1 bar of boost on the original low setting so i left it at that.

its doing EXACTLY the same thing as my bleed valve so i dont think its the ebc it must be something else, what does the original recirc valve hold pressure to?