Help wanted with engine removal

Sween

Hi guys, I took my car to my mechanic yesterday to begin the task of removing the engine to begin my rebuild. I don't think he wa too impressed :lol: he is also not a fan of the R anymore :p

He has read that removing the engine out the top can be a 3 day job and so is looking into the possibility of removing it by dropping it down as you guys all have in the "how to" thread. Problem is we do not feel we have jacks and axle stands big enough to cope with the job so have been looking around for somewhere friendly enough to loan us one of their ramps bu so far with not much joy. :?

So onto my plea for help. What I was hoping is that there may be someone local to me (Stevenage, Hertfordshire) who has some experience of engine removal on the R who would be prepared to lend us some expertise in exchange for a few beer tokens.

Hope you guys can help as I havent driven the car in anger since September and cannot wait for the car to be back and I was so close but now seem so far :cry:

thanks guys

the chief

this is how i lifted the car high enough! jack car up as high as you can then put on axle stands. put some blocks of wood under the trolly jack and pump it as high as the car will go. then stick some blocks of wood under the axle stands and repeat untill its high enough!

Sween

Mr GTiR said:
Use an engine crane and it's a piece of p1$$.
We do have a very sturdy engine crane and I was interested in this approach. Do you lower the engine down to the ground using the crane and then use the crane to lift the car with the jack?

I just hired a engine crane from a tool hire place, so much easier then. It really isnt that bad getting it out, its getting it in and running again i found hard lol.

Sween

EssexAaron said:
cant be very good machanic if he cant get a engine out a R
I didn't say he couldn't as we haven't tried yet. He has just read that it is a bitch of a job to do and I thought I would ask for some advice. I helped him remove and then replace a rotary engine from an RX7 a few months back and also convert a N/A MR2 to a rev 1 both of which was done in 2 days and on his driveway. there is no one i trust more to work on my cars

Thanks for your advice guys and the offers of help through PM it is greatly appreciated

carlengerer

My opinion is the gti-r isnt an easy car to work on, is like they designed the engine bay without ever thinking of sticking a tuned up sr20det lump in it.

gunmetalgtir

carlengerer said:
My opinion is the gti-r isnt an easy car to work on, is like they designed the engine bay without ever thinking of sticking a tuned up sr20det lump in it.
Course they didn't think about it! :lol: The sunny was just a granny mobile before they decided to turn it into 4wd and slap a SR20DET in there! Hence why it done so shit in the rally's! :doh: It was originally designed as a road car then made into a rally car.

Last edited: