Help plz....identify part quick...

N

Nik_GTI-R

Help plz....identify part quick...pics

Ok on my R there is a wire soldered onto the alternator and it runs up to a plug on the + of the battery.Whats this wire for??

Mines has broken came away from the alternator and ive got it a feeling thats whats causing my battery to go flat if say the stereo or interior light is left on for 5mins.

Hope some1 can help.

Last edited by a moderator:

youngsyp

I wasn't aware there was any cable 'soldered' to the alternator ?!

Also, it won't be that cable that's causing the non starting issue. If the battery isn't charging or, has a cell or two that's on the way out, it won't hold charge as well etc...

Post up a piccy and we might be able to help a bit more...
Paul

O

owens

there shouldnt be anything souldered to the altenator, if there is its quite possibly a bodge, as above if you post some pics im sure we can help a little more

N

Nik_GTI-R

It deffo isnt a bodge.Its maybe not soldered then.It runs in with the wires along the top of the radiator and along to the battery.And its a proper plug that goes to the battery end.Al go get some pics.

N

Nik_GTI-R

Ok this cable dosnt actually go to the alternator,but to the red power bit just beside the end of the wire....

And this bit attaches here.to the end where my thumb is.......

Which further up,is attached to the battery....

youngsyp

Looking at the plug at the battery end, that's not been connected for a while ?!

You need to get a meter on it and see what the polarity of that cable is. If I'm honest, mine looks nothing like that and from memory, only has 1 cable connected to the +ve terminal of the battery.

Paul

N

Nik_GTI-R

Its been off for a few weeks now as it had came off the alternator end and sparking off bare metal as it was still connected to the + of the battery.Doh.

Its deffo not a bodge.I can tell by the way its been routed and the wire has a plastic cover/harness all the way along.

So u dont have something coming from the battery and going to the alt like mine??

O

owens

if that wire has been arcking (sp) out that could well be where your loss of battery power is going and if such your lucky it hasnt cought fire,
if the terminal has broken at the altenator (as it looks like) i would take the broken terminal off the altenator and make a new piece of wire, the same thickness but about 1" longer to allow for engine movement (as this is quite possibly what has caused the break) with the same teminal ends on it and use that,
then i would sugest you have the battery tested for condition as if its been charging and rapidly disscharging its possibly cause damage to the battery cells.

if you want the cable replaced with a new item and are unable to do it yourself pm me and i may be able to hel you out

youngsyp

Nik_GTI-R said:
Its been off for a few weeks now as it had came off the alternator end and sparking off bare metal as it was still connected to the + of the battery.Doh.

Its deffo not a bodge.I can tell by the way its been routed and the wire has a plastic cover/harness all the way along.

So u dont have something coming from the battery and going to the alt like mine??
I'll have a look at mine this weekend and get back to you.

Paul

Fusion Ed

I reckon it was an addition as there OEM wire may not be working and so it was replaced with that extra one?

N

Nik_GTI-R

owens said:
if that wire has been arcking (sp) out that could well be where your loss of battery power is going and if such your lucky it hasnt cought fire,
if the terminal has broken at the altenator (as it looks like) i would take the broken terminal off the altenator and make a new piece of wire, the same thickness but about 1" longer to allow for engine movement (as this is quite possibly what has caused the break) with the same teminal ends on it and use that,
then i would sugest you have the battery tested for condition as if its been charging and rapidly disscharging its possibly cause damage to the battery cells.

if you want the cable replaced with a new item and are unable to do it yourself pm me and i may be able to hel you out
The wire was disconnected from the battery a few weeks ago when the other end split from the alternator.

My mate sorted it today for me,just crimped an O ring on the end and bolted it all up like it was.Just hope its what was causing my battery going flat,time will tell.

Thanx for the help tho mate and every1 else.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: