Help please

smiddy

I got my car back last week after a complete rebuild, the car had been lying up for over a year before I picked it up. The car drove ok in Holyhead and for about the first 10 mile after on the way home from Dublin (I live in N.Ireland).
The car started to misfire badly on the way home and then would not even start all week. I changed the plugs and fuel filter this morning and it started first go. I let it warm up and then took it for a spin, it is backfiring badly, any suggestions?

Trondelond

Did you check the distributor?

There's plenty of threads which give you a list of suspects if you search as well. :)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'd guess timing too; as a guide, is the distributor in the middle of the adjustment? I'd guess it was set right, but the nut wasn't tight enough and it's slipped on the drive home.

PulsarLee

missfire

hiya,
I had a similar problem with my R shortly after i bought it. under high boost or even low it missfired badly. I changed the plugs and leads and its fine now. never got to know which were causing the problem as the colour of the plugs was ok but i had to replace the leads as 2 broke when pulling them off the plugs :cry:

Good luck fella i reccon it will be one of about 5 things;

plugs
leads
dizzy cap
timing rotor arm
coil

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Any fault codes coming up?
Any water in the plug wells?
MAF playing up?
Plug lead shorting out somewhere?

smiddy

The plugs i replaced were black. The guy who built the engine told me the guys who delivered the car to holyhead had to recharge the battery or jumpstart it after it being lay up for so long which may have upset the emanage causing it to run rich. Does this mean remap is needed?