Help please!!

webba23

Have had my car just over six months now and what a happy six months it has been. Going by posts on here I count myself lucky to have got six months without any problems however after going out in the car tonight have enocountered a prob.

Car is set up to run 1 bar through an in car boost controller that came with the car. This has always held 1 bar and has never under/overboosted. Don't usually rag the car and treat it well but after a quick blast tonight the car kept boosting to 1.3 bar and beyond. Turned boost controller off and same result gave up tinkering with it then and just drove it very slowly home. Any ideas.

Other syptoms are oil on outlet of Bailey d/v - been told this normal on standard breather system by tuner who fitted it. and what sounds like a blow on front of exhaust as well now!

Exhaust also bangs and pops quite badly but again I'm told by tuner who set it up that this normal on Pulsars. I have no reason to disbelieve this so have driven it and as I say have had no probs til now.

Could the d/v prob and blow sound have anything to do with boost problem?

Any ideas on any of this lot? Very new to turbo cars so if this is all simple probs then sorry. Also tried to search but ended up doing this because of the d/v and blow sound.

Any help/advice will be very welcome.

Cheers

Matt

gtir_pimp

boost controller solenoid might be knackered and might of taken the controller with it. exactly what happened to mine. or you may be lucky and have a split boost pipe

webba23

All the pipes are ok have checked them today. If it's the solenoid will it have to be new boost contoller or can it be fixed? Prob a stupid question but I not that technical yet.

Cheers

Matt

GTi-R23

More than likely have to buy a new solenoid and/or boost controller as they're not really servicable, have you checked all the vac lines from actuator to solenoid etc for splits or leaks? What make/model is the boost controller? Might be worth borrowing a bleed valve just to make sure it is the boost controller before you fork out ££'s on a new controller.

Has the exhaust note changed recently or has it always sounded like that? Might just be because you're running more boost now? A blowing exhaust is usually easy to find as the area will blacken up with soot etc

The odd pop and bang is normal but it shouldn't do it excessively, usually on the over-run.

And I think I replied to your other post about slight oil weeping from the DV, this is normal in my experience with standard breather system

Last edited:

gtir_pimp

like GTi-r23 sais, definately disconnect the solenoid and fit a bleed valve to check it holds the boost you set it too, to check for boost leaks. you will probably be better off getting a whole new controller if yours has had it. what controller have you got? i had a sard trigger that give up so i got a greddy profec b spec 11 new from ebay for £170 delivered, which aint bad!!

snoon

try a manual boost controller to defo check if it is the controller that has stopped working.

Don't waste your money on a new solenoid, as I spend £183 on 1 for mine and it turned out not to be the solenoid, it was was the main 'brain' box of the controller that had stopped working. And you can't buy them anymore.

If it does turn out to be your boost controller then buy a new one rather than waste money on parts that may not fix the problem. I certainly won't make that mistake again, as I said, it cost me 183 quid to learn that one!!

webba23

Cheers for all the replies exhaust has sounded this way for a couple of weeks and I assumed that it was down to a blow can't see any holes in it though so could be the boost then as you say.

Boost controller that I have is http://www.nengun.com/power-enterprise/boost-controller

never seen one before so don't know what they like for quality etc. Anyone else got any experience with them?

Tried to take it out tonight after checking all the vac lines and it still shows as over boosting on contoller and standard. Although as well as this I had what looked like smoke from passenger side of engine bay. Was pouring down so this could have been steam but I'm doubting it. Oil pressure, temp and water temp all normal though, too dark to check levels tonight going to do this in the morning.

On the controller side of things if it has gone and I need a new one am thinking of going the AVC-R route are they worth the dollar?

Cheers

Matt

webba23

Where on the rocker would this be? Have looked this morning all levels ok. Topped coolant up oil fine as well. Drove car and started smoking from what seems to be top of radiator. Temp gauges in car give normal readings. Any ideas?

GTi-R23

Any breather would be on the right hand side of the engine, you should have a small black metal box which is the oil separator which has one connection from the rocker cover and then one down into the sump and then one from the back of the rocker cover to the intake system somewhere, I doubt your problems are breather related though.
What do you mean by 'smoke' from the top of the rad? Steam or smoke? Was it just moisture evaporating? A radiator should never actually smoke.
You sure it wasn't coming from the manifold/turbo area appearing as if it was coming from the rad?

webba23

Looks to be coming from the radiator and yes it does look like steam. Don't think it's evaporating moisture as I could not feel any wet areas. Am going to run it home later and check the radiator for leaks will also try and see if the steam/smoke is coming from the turbo. What could be the problem from the turbo/manifold?

antgtir

Have you still got the tmic? If so check the small vacuum pipe that runs from the back of the cooler to the passenger side of the cooler, if this is split or has not been replaced or has been pulled off when the DV was fitted then that will cause overboost prob's.

Ant.