Help please - cooling fans not working

G

GTI-R Kid

Our car is finally getting places, but among the small teething problems is that the cooling fans for the radiator aren't kicking in. The engine water temp gauge (beside the rev counter) is also not working, and I'm guessing the 2 are related?

Under normal running conditions the engine is running pretty cool. I have a Defi gauge plumbed in to the top radiator hose, and when driving along it rarely goes over 70 degrees. However, when stuck in traffic or city driving, I've noticed the gauge start to move closer to 90 degrees (I've been careful not to let it go higher).

Problem is that the cooling fans never cut in. I've checked the connectors on the fans and they're connected. Checked all the nearby earthing points. Checked the fuses inside the cabin. Everything looks ok but they don't work. Haven't been able to pull out the radiator fuse in the engine bay to check it - anyone have any hints on how to get this fuse out? Is there a clip somewhere as I'm practically swinging out of it and am afraid I'm going to pull the whole fuse box with it.

Anyone have any suggestions as to other possible reasons for the gauge and fans not working?

Really would appreciate the help.

G

GTI-R Kid

I'm saving that for a last resort. Would rather have them running properly. Plus the gauge staying at the bottom would really get annoying. If its there it should work.;-)

geoff pine

Let the car idle on your drive for ten min's when the temp hits 95/97 the fans should come on 90 is not hot enough. If you have air con that should trigger the fans at any temp?

G

GTI-R Kid

Let the temp reach almost 100 degrees then to check? Even though the standard gauge also hasn't moved from its bottom position?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
They kick in at exactly 90 for me...

See when you hit just over 90deg and the fans fail to turn on... Cut the engine and car completely... Then turn the key over so that just the power comes on but not starting the car... Bet the fans turn on... :lol:

Rishi

geoff pine

RishiGTiR said:

See when you hit just over 90deg and the fans fail to turn on... Cut the engine and car completely... Then turn the key over so that just the power comes on but not starting the car... Bet the fans turn on... :lol:

Rishi
does this mean you hks fan controler is operating them at a lower temp or is there a[problem] with mine i was? sure the manual says 97.

P

pulsarboby

if they dont come on between 90-95 then its highly likely its your fan sender switch thats at fault.
pull the sender switch plug off and link the wires if fan comes on then its a faulty sender!

G

GTI-R Kid

Rishi - will try it, if I can get the car off herself for a little while! Still confused about the gauge not moving at all.

Boby - where's this sender switch located so that I can check it out?

stumo

The fans are turned on by the ECU (and goes through a relay) which gets a signal from the temp sensor.

The ecu also tells the guage to display the temp so it sounds like either your temp sensor is disconnected or it doesn't work or your wiring from the sensor to the ecu is broken.

P

pulsarboby

not 100% but think its on thermostat houing will have either 2 or 3 wires coming from it. just get short piece of wire pull connector plug off and bridge connection (on plug) with ignition on fan should then cut in.

G

GTI-R Kid

Stumo its possible its simply not connected. I re-assembled the engine once I got the rebuilt block back, so its quite possible I missed one connection. Where is the temp sensor located so I can check it out?

Boby - will take a look when I can and see what I find.

P

pulsarboby

stumo said:
The fans are turned on by the ECU (and goes through a relay) which gets a signal from the temp sensor.

The ecu also tells the guage to display the temp so it sounds like either your temp sensor is disconnected or it doesn't work or your wiring from the sensor to the ecu is broken.
would have gambled money that fan is activated by fan sender switch which in turn goes back to ecu, never ever seen a car without one???

stumo

the GTiR doesn't have a fan switch, it only has a temp sender which tells the ecu what the temp is.

P

pulsarboby

in that case then i stand corrected (sorry gtir kid) its a first on me:der: learn something new everyday!

stumo

It's located at the back of the engine on the drivers side under the plenum (just to make it easy)

Z

zee

i had this problem on 2 of my pulsars. fans are directly connected to the ECU with no backup. check the sensor, if that does not work u may have fried the ECU (u can pick up an ecu for £90)

G

GTI-R Kid

RishiGTiR said:

Rishi
How much you betting? Coz you just lost.:sad:

Took the car for a spin after work and got stuck in traffic. Defi indicating 95deg so I pull over and turn off engine. Turn ignition back to on position, and no fans. Defi now reading over 100deg.:cry:

Haven't checked anything yet though, too tired after 12 hour shift. Car runs lovely and cool when moving though, with temp rarely rising above 70deg (Nismo thermostat obviously works :thumbsup: )

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
stumo said:

There are actually 2 temp sensors there...

One is for the ECU and the other is for the Gauge...

Rishi

S

S.J

i had this same problem but my temp gauge worked, i couldn't get the fans to come on tho, so all i did was wire the fans up to a switch in the car so i can turn them on or off when i need to .. its a way out if all else fails