help!!! Only 1st and 2nd gear work

V

vtec

My clutch was creaking for quite a long time and now i can only use 1st and 2nd gear. IM stranded in east london does any body know a good garage that could fix my shhhh pleaze. Also any clue to how much did would cost. thanx

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you can use 1st and 2nd gear you shouldn't be stranded :wink:

Depending where you go, you could get ripped off for the best part of £1000. Try speaking to Ex-Gtir or Olly on here and see if they fancy a day out, if you can't get to them.

geetee

If u can get 1st and 2nd then your looking at a gearbox rather than clutch prob

As suggested by Fast Guy.. you need to get your R either home or to a knowledgable R box rebuilder.

Taking to the nearest place will cost u a fortune.

You can limp home at 30mph if need be....

Anyway up - you're looking at a gearbox rebuild - which even with standard parts and someone who's done an R box you're looking at £800 if you do all the labour yourself.

Otherwise, I hope your credit card is healthy and you haven't booked your summer holiday..... get a Quaife gearset and proper rebuild.... you don't wanna know how much.. :?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

paz

As above, sounds like your gearbox is done :(

Just to give you another (cheaper) option if you want to go that way... GTIR Spares will do you a rebuilt standard box for a trade in of your old one plus £580.00 (I think its that much). Then fitting would be a few hundred on top of that.

BUT if you've got the money, from what the lads say who've got them, the quaife set seems to be the way to go.

Paz

Stevo

hi mate, does it crunch when trying 3rd-5th gear? and reverse??
Can it go in gear when car isnt idling?

V

vtec

thanx for the replys lads i should be back on the road by friday