Help needed broken spark-plug TIP, Now with engine pics

pesh90

Just been driving the R today and saw smoke coming out of the exhaust (white), pulled over to have a closer look also found smoke coming from the turbo :? , could also smell oil burning, there was also loss of power when i pulled away so took the car straight round my mates and had a closer look found oil in the exhaust thought the turbo might be fooked :evil: , we then took out the plugs out they were all black and when we took out the spark-plug from no.3 cylinder there was no TIP :shock: ,WTF sh1te i thought there was also small white spots on the end of the plug :? ...I'm really fooked off :evil: :evil: , and looking at a massive bill.. :evil: :evil:

zia

are you sure the smoke wasn,t blue as that would seem more likely especially with oil in exhaust. plug tip disapperrance would indicate det/ extreme heat. would do cold comp test to check weather ring's are ok. and if possible have look with borescope to check piston top's for det damage.can you see oil in the no3 chamber?

zia

frp

what make of plug mate. just happened to me and its shafted my turbo and its knackered a valve or summat........totally shafted. ive had the turbo rebuild (better spec of course) and my engine is being done,,,,,,,,,,
little piece BIG mess
steve

JIMMYBACK

:shock: :shock: :shock: sorry to hear that? wtf? happened to get it into that state :shock: :shock: have u been self tuning it :shock:

pesh90

Dooie Pop Pop said:
has the tip snapped or melted?
I'm not sure stu :oops:, all i can see is that the end of the plug is missing :? There is however some small white spots on the end of the plug if that helps :cry:

pesh90

zia said:
are you sure the smoke wasn,t blue as that would seem more likely especially with oil in exhaust. plug tip disapperrance would indicate det/ extreme heat. would do cold comp test to check weather ring's are ok. and if possible have look with borescope to check piston top's for det damage.can you see oil in the no3 chamber?

zia
Definetley White smoke mate, nearly filled the whole road up with smoke :lol:, Had a look down the chamber and was wet, i think its oil :oops:, the piston looks to have been damaged iin some way as when i replaced the damaged plug it still ran rough.. :cry:

pesh90

frp said:
what make of plug mate. just happened to me and its shafted my turbo and its knackered a valve or summat........totally shafted. ive had the turbo rebuild (better spec of course) and my engine is being done,,,,,,,,,,
little piece BIG mess
steve
Using NGK racing 8s...You want to see the plug :shock: , nothing left of the TIP...Just hope I don't have to sell one of me kidneys to pay for the R :lol:

pesh90

JIMMYBACK said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: sorry to hear that? wtf? happened to get it into that state :shock: :shock: have u been self tuning it :shock:
No, hav'nt got the brains for that :wink: , Only got it done 3 weeks ago :? ,...So im wondering.....

zia

did you get it mapped recently? if so i would have a close look at the map to see what change's have been implemented. and if you happen to have copy of the old map and new map then i would presume to follow to the logical conclusion and take matter's further!!

zia

pesh90

zia said:
did you get it mapped recently? if so i would have a close look at the map to see what change's have been implemented. and if you happen to have copy of the old map and new map then i would presume to follow to the logical conclusion and take matter's further!!

zia
Only got it re-mapped 3 odd weeks ago....I'll be looking it to mate with interest :wink:..once i've found out how bad the damage is.. :cry:

Dooie Pop Pop

it might be a good idea if you replace that plug! :wink: :lol: dont drive it mate it wont help matters :(

as Zia said do a compression test and get a copy of the first map if possible.

JIMMYBACK

:shock: :shock: only mapped three weeks ago :shock: sounds dodgy to me :shock: :cry: surely the det should of been picked up in the rolling road session :shock:

pesh90

Dooie Pop Pop said:
it might be a good idea if you replace that plug! :wink: :lol: dont drive it mate it wont help matters :(

as Zia said do a compression test and get a copy of the first map if possible.
already done that mate.. still runs POO :cry:, looking to get a copy of the first map sooon, :wink: ...I'll be getting a comp test done ASAP.. :wink:

pesh90

JIMMYBACK said:
:shock: :shock: only mapped three weeks ago :shock: sounds dodgy to me :shock: :cry: surely the det should of been picked up in the rolling road session :shock:
:roll: ...I take it thats why i've only got 3 and a bit spark-plugs :evil:

Dooie Pop Pop

how old is your engine build? who built it? how many boosted miles has it done? did you buy the car with the work done already?

just wondering if the engine had anything to do with it mate :(

there are a few people who can check the map for you on here :wink: but will need both maps to compare and give an accurate picture.

Stu

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Don't run it just now...

Get a friend to come over with a DataLogit and take a copy of the map before anyone else ie. the person who mapped it 3 weeks ago, gets to have a look...

You don't want them changing the map and then denying responsibility...

Feel free to send me a copy of the map...

Just to help diagnose the problem could you tel me which one of these your plug looks like...

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/spark/plugs.htm

Rishi

pesh90

Dooie Pop Pop said:
how old is your engine build? who built it? how many boosted miles has it done? did you buy the car with the work done already?

just wondering if the engine had anything to do with it mate :(

there are a few people who can check the map for you on here :wink: but will need both maps to compare and give an accurate picture.

Stu
Not that old mate only put together end of last year....built by GBH in colchester, so hopefullly it won't be there as long as pete-r is :roll:, but knowing bob and the work load he has at the moment could be there for a bit....Only started driving it properley in JULY after i had it set-up at ABBEY...Ill be giving abbey a ring to see if they have my old map on there computer :cry: ...Just hope they still have... :wink:

pesh90

RishiGTiR said:
Don't run it just now...

Get a friend to come over with a DataLogit and take a copy of the map before anyone else ie. the person who mapped it 3 weeks ago, gets to have a look...

You don't want them changing the map and then denying responsibility...

Feel free to send me a copy of the map...

Just to help diagnose the problem could you tel me which one of these your plug looks like...

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/spark/plugs.htm

Rishi
The car is at the garage at the moment, so won't be driving it fo a while :cry:, The link you've sent me none of them match my plug exactly the only thing that looks the same is where the thread is on the spark-plug its all black including the electrode, i'll take a picture of the plug once i can get a car to drive down there :evil:...I'll gladly send you copy of the MAP maybe you could shed some light on it :wink: .....The map won't get changed as the garage it is at does'nt tune car just engine work.. :wink: