HELP, my dash has stopped working!!!!!

K

KrissJ

I took it out earlier today as my rev counter doesn't work so I wanted to see if there was something not connected etc.

Whilst lookin at the back my screw driver touched 2 screws at the same time on the back of the dash and sparked. Now none of the dials work so I don't know how much petrol I've got but more omportantly, I dunno how fast I'm goin! All the lights on the dash still work and all of the fuses are ok so can anyone give any suggestions as to what I can do to fix it PLEASE???

:( :(

zia

remove the dash and reclip the connection back in, it might work if not for burnt wires/connectors if that fails check all conection using multimeter!!

zia

K

KrissJ

Cheers. I was hopin to be able to sort ithe problem out myself.

bangin it soedn't work and i've clipped it in again and again. Anyone else, cos this is a pretty desperate session!!!!! :cry:

K

KrissJ

All the fuses are OK, I checked them when it 1st happened.

I'll have to check all the wires etc with a multimeter or summat like zia said unless someone has got a better (or quicker) suggestion.

Oh dear, this is gonna take me ages! :cry:

K

KrissJ

Thank god (well actually my helpful local mechanic), I've sorted it!!!

Took it down to him this morning and he showed me the bits in the circuit on the back of the dash that are thinner than the rest. When something shorts in the circuit, these parts break as a protection and sure enough 1 of them was broken so I've bridged the gap with a small wire and hey presto, I know how fast I'm goin and how much petrol I have again! :D

Rev counter still doesn't work though :(

Anyone got 1 goin spare?

J

jaigtir

i suppose you could try double checking all the wires behind dash again, may have missed the rev counter one, sorry, cant be much more help, try checking the rev counter wire to the ecu?

K

KrissJ

I've checked all the wires to the rev counter and on the back of the dash and their all fine. The rev counter wire to the ecu is a good suggestion though, thanks :D

Only problem is, which bloody 1 would it be, there's fookin loadsa wires & I'm fairly lost when it comes to things like that? :?

J

jaigtir

i got my aftermarket tacho linked up to it, ill have a look tomorrow for you as im taking out the ecu anyway. Im sure there was a diagram of it somewhere on here, try doing a search?

C

charlie

KrissJ said:
, these parts break as a protection and sure enough 1 of them was broken so I've bridged the gap with a small wire
ummm, don't mean to sound negative, but can i just add to this.... on a safety note you've just done the equivalent of replacing a blown fuse with a nail. Best to find out why it actually blew before you go too much further

J

J-GTi-R

It blew because he accidentally bridged two screws with a screwdriver. It's generally not a good idea to pull the clock unit out without disconnecting the battery (for this reason), but as he won't be driving around with a screwdriver behind his clocks, he should be pretty safe.

geetee

but as he won't be driving around with a screwdriver behind his clocks, he should be pretty safe
I dunno, I've seen tools left in stranger places beofre....

:lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

C

charlie

J-GTi-R said:
It blew because he accidentally bridged two screws with a screwdriver.
ooooh yeah, didn't see that :oops: just trying to be helpful :D

K

KrissJ

Cheers for all the help. :D

Don't worry, I don't leave tools behind dashes or in the engine when I'm drivin :lol: I was actually gonna disconnect the battery but I thought it'd just be a loose connection stoppin my rev counter from workin, in which case I'd have to link it back up to test and make sure it was workin.

Thanks jai, I'll then definately check it. I hope it is just that wire cos It'll be a pain if I have to replace the actual rev counter :?

ian c

tacho

hello KRiss,

i have a spare tacho if you need one - you need to open up your dials and slot this one in...fair easy job and i can help should you get stuck!

was taken from a set of clocks where the speedo packed up and was working when removed from the car.

pm me if interested.

cheers