HELP!!! My car is in bits!

Matt Evans

I'm trying to change the clutch lever, but I can't seperate the clutch housing from the engine. How do I do it?

S

seanleed

Have a look in the 'how to' section under stripping gearbox from the car, or something like that :D

MarkTurbo

How far have you got :?: Is the transferbox still on the gearbox :?:

Theres a few bolts that its easy to forget about :wink: I usually forget the bellhousing bolt on the bottom of the engine :oops: :oops: :oops:

J

jasegould

Theres a few bolts that its easy to forget about I usually forget the bellhousing bolt on the bottom of the engine
And the one under or near the starter, you can just about see it from underneath the car

Matt Evans

I've partly put it back together now, so I could leave it for tonight.
I unbolted both engine mounts on the passenger side, unbolted the front and rear stabiliser arms, disengaged the passenger side drive shaft, unbolted the prop shaft and made sure all pipe work, wiring and brackets etc. were all out of the way. Then I dropped the near side of the engine, down a couple of inches. I undid all the bolts around the clutch housing (9 of them I think) and tried to seperate it from the engine, but it would not budge.

Not sure about the bolt under the starter, how many bolts should there be?

J

jasegould

When i done mine there was an "impossible" bolt that i was warned about....i looked at it and decided to remove the engine rather than try to get at it....which is what the majority of people do...altho some can do it in situ. Is the box loose at all, can you lever it apart slightly, if not there prob a bolt still in

The bolt im talkin about goes in from the engine side....ie you unwind it towards the os if thats any help

O

Olly

There's more to it than you have said in your post, you need to remove front diff and transfer box end case, and there should be a bolt by the vss. And a load of 14 mm ones too. plus many more 8)

Matt Evans

If I only want to remove the clutch housing(and obviously gearbox), won't they just seperate from transfer box?

What's vss?

MarkTurbo

Matt, like Olly said theres loads to remove yet :lol:

Theres shitloads of bolts on the transferbox alone :wink: From what your saying i take it you're doing it with the engine in situ? I find it easiest to jack the front of the car as high as possible, put it on axle stands, and then drop the engine onto the floor then separate the engine and box underneath the car. But even doing it this way some of the bolts are a bit awkward to get to :?

Matt Evans

O.K. guys, it looks like getting the engine out onto the floor is my only choice really. The only thing is, I can't even attempt it again until next Sunday. Another week without my 'R'! It doesn't even bare thinking about!

Anything else I should be aware of while doing this job?

I'm pretty good at getting awkward bolts out, mostly. They just take a long time sometimes. I remember trying to get at a bolt on the exhaust manifold on my 5 GT Turbo, I had to turn it about an 8th of an inch from underneath, then another 8th of an inch from the top, and so on until I got it out about 20 mins later!

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

sound to me like the bolt that is behind the speedo transducer is in still. i doubt you will get this out with the engine still in the car :cry:

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

i dont think you'll need to take of the transfer box, just diconnect prop and gear linkage / downpipe and then the gearbox and transfer should come off as one.

i reckon your going to struggle though those boxes and f**king heavy :evil:

J

Jamz

When I changed the engine in my car the gearbox and transfer box was swapped as one whole unit. I thought about unbolting the transfer box but found it wasn't nesescary.

Jobi Joba

I put my money on the "impossible" bolt located just under the starter.To get ur hands on this one,u need to remove the speedo sensor and the starter.And u may have to loosen it in the blind way cause I really doubt u'll even see it.Ur hands gona be ur eyes to remove this one.

BTW,u can remove gearbox and transfer box bolt on together.

Matt Evans

When I finally get the clutch housing off, I'm thinking of having the fly wheel lightened and balanced. Anyone got any tips on doing this, or any other things that I could do?

Matt Evans

O.k. guys, I've finally fixed my clutch lever. In the end I dropped the engine onto a rolling trolley and used the engine hoist to lift the front end of the car over the engine, so I could pull it away from the car. You were all right guys, it was the damned impossible bolt underneath the starter! I can't believe the amount of work it took just to put a new lever and bearing in. When I had the clutch housing away from the engine it literally only took about 10 seconds to put the new parts in! Never mind though, its done now. Thanks for the help dudes!

O

one Gti-R

HAHAHAHA

yo met the prick bolt.

I just pulled my engine apart for the first time on the weekend and I can tell you its alot easier to do with it out of the car.

Getting the starter motor out without dropping the engine would be a pain in the ass let alone removing the speed sensor, and getting that bolt.

J

JohnnyGTiR

Getting the starter motor out without dropping the engine would be a pain in the a** let alone removing the speed sensor, and getting that bolt.
You're not wrong, when I did the starter for the first time it was a real pain in the a** (though I could do it much easier now) the worst thing was I had to pull my gearbox out a week later :x.

Done with the engine in the car I managed to get a ring spanner on the prick bolt and using a long bar as a lever, apply enough pressure to crack it. Then its just the painful task of undoing it like 1/8th of a turn at a time (probably easier with a ratchet spanner).
I dont think I've ever before bled that much from the knuckles.

O

one Gti-R

JohnnyGTiR said:
Getting the starter motor out without dropping the engine would be a pain in the a** let alone removing the speed sensor, and getting that bolt.
You're not wrong, when I did the starter for the first time it was a real pain in the a** (though I could do it much easier now) the worst thing was I had to pull my gearbox out a week later :x.

Done with the engine in the car I managed to get a ring spanner on the prick bolt and using a long bar as a lever, apply enough pressure to crack it. Then its just the painful task of undoing it like 1/8th of a turn at a time (probably easier with a ratchet spanner).
I dont think I've ever before bled that much from the knuckles.
thats why I think its easier to drop the engine,

On the other side there is mainly just the powersteering and the fuse box to diconnect and its basically ready to drop. only other thing is to get rid of the bsah bar and the driverside drive shaft. an extra 30mins to make you life easier and save your knuckles :lol: :lol: :lol: