Help fuel Tank leak?

jayb

Hi all

I have a strange problem. When I fill my tank up to max, it starts leaking from the top of the tank, and runs down the side of the tank to the back of the car. is there a overflow on the tank? when I put the fuel nozzle in, there's a hole near the top of the Filler pipe, could that be the problem, when i put the fuel in to quick?

I have checked the fuel tank, looks in very good condition, plus took the cover off, in the boot and checked the hoses, they are all fine (bone dry).

when The tank is down to half it stops leaking. It only leaks when i stop?

anyone help?

Thanks jay

red reading

Subframe and fuel tank drop to find the answer for that, could be any of the nest of pipes and vents on top off the tank.

P

pulsarboby

its more than likely the metal filler pipe is corroded, been a few around like that lately with rot and pin holes in them

jayb

thanks for the reply

I have checked the filler pipe its like new, is there anywhere else i can check without taking the tank out?

Because it will be a Lot of cash to take it out etc?

on the filler pipe there's another pipe near the top, it shoots of to the left towards the front of the car, The hole is about a inch wide, where does that go?

Gtirchris

Thats a breather pipe buddy, as danny said it's best to drop the tank so that you can see where the problem is as there is a maze of pipes on top of the tank, it's likely that one of these has split and is causing the leak. Its not much work to get the tank out if you are handy with a spanner, just make sure you soak the subframe mounting nuts in penetrating oil overnight as they can seize on the studs and shear off inside the rear chassis legs which obviously isn't good, but if you go at it in the right manner you should be fine mate.