help- clunking noise at the front!

Daza

Ive just fitted the bumpsteer kit 8) got the tracking set up but something doesnt feel right! the smallest niche in the road and it feels like im going down a pothole! There is a bit of play on the track rod ends(should there be?) Its not excessive though could it be anything else. also when i turn the steering wheel left and right a bit there is a slight knock. Any ideas
would be great as i have m.o.t coming up :shock: !!!
cheers.

youngsyp

Firstly, there shouldn't be any play, whatsoever in the track ends. They are a perfect fit and should be done up tight ! It sounds to me that when they have adjusted your alignment, they haven't done the lock nut up properly on the track arm. have a check. if it's loose, take it back to them and get them to align it again and do things up properly !!

Incidently, what bumpsteer kit did you get ? I ask this as the powerstation one requires spacing washers between the track end and steering arm other wise there will be contact between them on certain degrees of suspension travel ! Gordon Kays kit doesn't suffer from this as the design is slightly different (read: better developed !).

Oh, and you will feel more bumps in the road as there is now less compliance in the steering components !!

Cheers

Paul

S

Stoned

Interesting

I just fitted mine I have exactly the same problem. However I took mine to have the tracking done and they told me they couldnt do it as there was too much play in the system

I took mine to a garage I use and trust, they tested it out and it's tomorrow it's going in for a new lower arm on the front passenger side. They also identified play in the steering rack so that will need sorting also grr

There always was a clunking noise, but I ignored it :lol:

Pete Watson

After i changed all the front set up on mine and added a Bumpsteer Kit i also found a slight knock, when i took a closer look it turned out to be the anti roll bar link arms, not a very expensive item and off the shelf from my local dealer, which makes a change!!

I would check here first!

Rgs Pete

Daza

cheers for the replies peeps, ill have a closer look at the bumpsteer kit as now u mention it i dont remember seeing any washers :shock: ! and ill also check the anti roll bars. got m.o.t tommorow so hopefully they wont notice !!