Hello Pulsar advice please...

S

slammed_gtir

Hello people this is my first post, ive owned a calibra turbo previously with around 300 bhp and did all the nesserserry mods myself so when i comes to turbo engines i have kind of an idea but aint got a clue about pulsars.

Ive been offered a swap for my current car which im selling, been offered a nice black pulsar gtir i alway liked these in the past so im seriously considering it.

Apparently its got 260bhp, been told its got a cat back exhaust, he said something about it being mapped by mines from the factory and came with 227 bhp and an increased rev limit to 8.5 k. Im guessing its got an electronic boost controler as he says hes got it set to 1 bar with fueling spot on.

Now for some questions, can someone give me the run down on getting power out of pulsars? normal tuning route etc parts need etc etc

Whats the maximum power that can be achived from the standard internals if done properly?

Now i know with the calibra i fitted a front mounted intercooler, larger injectors, fitted an off the shelf chip and tweaked the actuator a little and got the result i wanted, it is a similar case with the gtir?

Can you get off the shelf pug in chips of is the only option spending shitloads on new ecus and mapping? ive done a few searches and got no where just keep reading about different computers etc which i know nothing about.

Hoping someone can shed some light cheers for the help (sorry if in wrong section as mostly tech tuning but im also after general info on pulsars too)

Thanks again

Russell

D

danmo

Well - they did do a mines ecu on some modles and they do produce more power than the standard.
On standard internals 400bhp is achievable but that would need a really good ecu (so cost alot), engine will work same as calibra so intercooler, injectors etc... but I wouldn't advise getting an 'off the shelf chip' unless u want a blown engine, u need it mapping properly. u can get some piggyback fuel controllers like the greddy emanage which can control the fueling and ignition timing - then u can get better bearings etc.. in the turbo and then go for 350 - 360 ish bhp maybe with some uprated cams too

Hope that helps.

gtir bean

1bar is enough for about 300bhp with exhaust and filter and it should be reliable at that if its got an uprated fuel pump and colder plugs.a front mount would be nice too but not essential unless your goin for more boost.i think the standard turbo is good upto about 1.2 bar but gets inefficient after that if that helps.much better car than the calibra thou.if the pulsar is good i would swap.

S

slammed_gtir

just been reading up on mines, can it be remapped? or will i be limited to the amount of boost and how much power i can get out the car with the mines mapped ecu?

Gtirbean... i see your running 1 bar and making over 300 brake how come? whats spec on yours?

This on im looking at has induction kit and cat back exhaust so im looking to buy a cheap cat replacement pipe off ebay so im hoping that should get the exhaust as free flowing as poss with out spending alot.

Do you think he has bought a boost controler extra or do the gtirs with mines ecu come with one standard?

heres a couple of pics may you can tell me some thing about it which i dont know...

S

slammed_gtir

heres a spec list ive wrote beside the bids im not sure on...

just been in for 500 mile service and to sort a few niggles out.

no smoke , no rattles .

new turbo ( standard )

turbo dynamics actuator

braided brake lines

16" rare falken lightweight alloys with toyo proxes

gab adj suspension - whats the gen on this, he says one of the rear shocks needs attention? incase i need to replace the shocks how much for a half decent sent of shocks and lowering springs? wont be able to afford coilovers yet.

kakimoto catback - any gen on this any good?

MINES ecu

k&n filter

bailey dv

cusco front strur brace

bumper guard - for what?

piaa spotlamps

original mats

wind deflectors

momo gearknob

sparco pedals

blitz dual sbc - whats this? is this the boost controler? any gen?

aftermarket boost gauge

cat 1 alarm and immobiliser

flare - whats this??

all electrics work

Fire & skill

Vintage member
gabs are adjustable shocks - proper JDM jobbies, you can get them rebuilt

kakimoto is just an exhaust - pretty quiet

bumper guard - good for the enthusiast, Nismo option from factory

blitz dual sbc - is the blitz dual solenoid boost controller, pretty good bit of kit, pain in the tits to wotk

flare - this is for when you brake down while sailing across the north sea, helps the RNLI spot you quicker :lol:

S

slammed_gtir

pmsl cheers mate, i hope i wont need to put that flair to any use!

Right so am i right in thinking this...

Been told boost has been set to 1 bar and is spot on for fueling, now there doesnt seem to be any type of fuel computer so i take it the boost has just been increased connected to a wide band lamda til fueling hit spot on?

So if thats the case and i wanted to run more power later by increasing boost say i would need to buy a fuel computer and the boost controler thats in there will be good enough?

some people on here seem to be making around 300 bhp at 1 bar but ive been told this is making aprox 260bhp so it mite not even be making that. Im assuming it all comes down to the mapping? in which case i would need to upgrade the ecu as the factory mines one cant be remapped ive read somewhere?

also gen on getting struts rebuilt? expensive job or would it not be less hassle to buy a second hand kit off someone?

cheers

CruiseGTi-R

Most people find the Mines ecu is difficult to get remapped in the UK.

There are lots of 1bar R's that have hit 300bhp-ish on standard ecu's as it does a very good job of managing 1bar so no real need for a fuel controller.

Going past 1bar you can risk the stock ecu (some people actually find it fuels ok-ish for say 1.2bar), but best play safe and check the fueling and tweak it with a fuel controller.

Emanage is so cheap nowadays its worth getting rather than a fuel controller anyway (it basically is a piggyback fuel controller, but is fully mappable, fuel, timing etc).

280-300bhp R's do happily with the the norms like exhaust and de-cat, filter, boost controller approach, etc and stock ecu.

You'll find it very different to your Calibra especially as its able to get power down a lot better, and being lighter its considerably quicker for same power.

snoon

Standard pistons are ok up to 1.2 bar I would say. Any higher boost and your going to need forged piston at a cost of around 400 - 500 plus fitting. At 1 bar the stock internals should ok.

O

Odin

Mr I know nothing said:
Standard pistons are ok up to 1.2 bar I would say. Any higher boost and your going to need forged piston at a cost of around 400 - 500 plus fitting. At 1 bar the stock internals should ok.

Don't talk out of your backside matey :roll: , Standard piston's will take at least 1.6bar if the fueling and timing are correct, I'm running 1.5 bar on my standard engine and Rishi ran 1.6 bar on his before he went for really big power and changed his still mint standard piston's for forged CP's.

Rob

snoon

Thats what I thought until the piston decided to smack me in the mouth! My ecu wasn't fuelling right at the time like.

John Noble motorsports in Chesterfield didn't have the balls to screw mine over 1.4 bar without any forged pistons. They reckon it just wouldn't handle it. Although the proof seems to be in the pudding if your runnin at 1.5 & 1.6. I'm obviosuly a pu$$y cos I only run mine to 1.4 of forged internals!!

O

Odin

snoon said:
Thats what I thought until the piston decided to smack me in the mouth! My ecu wasn't fuelling right at the time like.

John Noble motorsports in Chesterfield didn't have the balls to screw mine over 1.4 bar without any forged pistons. They reckon it just wouldn't handle it. Although the proof seems to be in the pudding if your runnin at 1.5 & 1.6. I'm obviosuly a pu$$y cos I only run mine to 1.4 of forged internals!!

You'er just a big fat ladyboy :der: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Why waste money on good forgies then let them go to waste at only 1.4bar :? :shock: .

I'd wack a nice 3071R on it and run 1.8 bar at least :twisted: , Mind you you'd better buy a new gearset first :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

snoon

u must have cash to burn mate! Only got the foged cos my standard blow to bits and it doesn't cost much more to get forged?!

What boost do you reckon I run?
Forge FMIC
Garret Hybrid T28
86.5mm Forged pistons
555 Injectors (so I have been told - dunno what they are tho?)
Blitz ID SBC
Helix Clutch
Only got standard gaskets in tho?

paz

:lol: Or his missus does ;)

She must have a fooking good job Rob to keep you in food and ale :lol: ;)

paz

O

Odin

snoon said:
u must have cash to burn mate! Only got the foged cos my standard blow to bits and it doesn't cost much more to get forged?!

What boost do you reckon I run?
Forge FMIC
Garret Hybrid T28
86.5mm Forged pistons
555 Injectors (so I have been told - dunno what they are tho?)
Blitz ID SBC
Helix Clutch
Only got standard gaskets in tho?

Well I think you should leave as is fella, I can't believe you rebuilt it with a standard head gasket :shock: :der: , But it's your ride fella ;-) .

Rob

S

slammed_gtir

can anyone explain about altering the ignition never herd of this? does emange control the timing and fuel?

azboy

standard pistons are fine as long as mapping ok but u put 400bhp r with standard pistons on a track with hard driving they will prob melt for road use with short burst they maybe fine but best to fit forged 86mm or 86.5 as this keeps the engine stronger and leaves room for a rebore if need be 1 day.