hell of a problem

G

gtir_messiah

i got a hell of of a problem.i purchased a R about 7months ago and so far im having fun8) then i had a little detonation incident.:doh: all my money went into rebuilding,new wiseco pistons and all,but the problem lays with my location.i live all the way in south africa!!:shock: where gtirs dont exist.no1 can help me out with setting up my air\fuel mixture cause they just dont have the software for my std ecu.and apparantly im running too rich,which i dont believe.no1 can setup my whell alignment,simply because they dont have the alignment settings for my car.:cry:

now my question is:will fitting a aftermarket ecu help the situation or can sum1 help me with my software problem and what should i do about my wheel alignment?
please help!!!!!!!! Newbie!!!!:roll:

stumo

for your alignment settings have a look here....http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42197

as for setting up your mixture....you're going to need a UEGO air fuel meter installed as a minimum.

there isn't any software that can change a standard ecu settings AFAIK, probibly the best bet would be to install a emanage blue (a piggyback ecu) and get that setup.

CanadianR

could he use the data cable and a data logger to at least see if his settings and readings were within the reasonable limits?

P

pulsarboby

how about buying an aftermarket ecu such as a mines or similar, and just setting the boost accordingly, that would help i would have thought, if theres no one there who knows how to setup an emanage or apexi safc type unit.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
There isn't really any "software" for a standard ECU. Depending on how much power you're running (standard ECU, I'm guessing pretty normal), you might get away with just an AFC For a couple hundred pounds. They are easier to setup than a full ECU or piggy back. Then anyone with a Rolling Road and a bit of turbo car fuelling knowledge could set it up.

G

gtir_messiah

ok,thanx for the input guys,but im not as experienced as you chaps.:der: this is my first turbocharged car!im still in the learning process.look motor popped coz of running too lean(overboosting!:twisted: )cant get enough of it!i got the car with a hks evc,dont ask me what model,but it looks like an oldish one,coz i see the newer ones have a knob thingy on it.i dont really know how to use it but i sure know how to turn up the boost!:twisted: (but ive learnt my lesson:roll: )since ive rebuilt the engine its been going fine except the cylinder head sounds like a popcorn machine:oops: and now recently after about 1000kms i see white smoke when i give abit.the mechanic says its coz the fueling isnt correct,he says that theres too much fuel running onto my valves washing any oil away,and that explains the noise.i was thinking that i might not have the std ecu,coz shoudnt you need a aftermarket ecu if you have a evc fitted?

hey guys thanx for such great site,if it wasnt for this site i would be left in the dark!!:thumbsup:

Braveheart

Popcorn Machine... Sounds like it's pinking!
What RON fuel options do you have in SA. If you are running 95 and the cars a jap import which has been set up for 98+ then you may have to retard the ignition timing a bit but be careful you end up melting pistons or burning out valves.
If it's too much fuel then you may end up with bore wash which will strip all lubricant from your cylinders and score them & fukc up your engine.
You need to find out before driving the car in anger. As sugested, fit a Uego air / fuel meter or have some turbo wise garage check it for you.
A piggyback ecu could control your air/fuel mix and other things or you could opt for just a fuel controller.
As you know, an engine rebuilt is not cheap!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you're running rich, the MAF might be playing up.

Black smoke would be a fulling problem.

White smoke could be the turbo, although it's normally blueish.

G

gtir_messiah

ok,i dont think its pinking,but here in S.A we use 95 unleaded octane or 95 replacement octane.not to long ago i fiddled with the timing and since then i been getting the white smoke.the other day i disconnected the recirculating pipe coming from my dump valve so that the valve can dump to atmosphere,but then i got black smoke and revs droped too low,but i reconnected.as for the cylinder head making noises,i found out the clearences wasnt right:doh: but me and a mackie gona grab a bag of feeler gauges and sort that out.im not 100% sure but i dont think my fuelling is wrong,how can it be wrong if no1 altered it.
by the way does any1 know how to work this damn evc,whats the use i have 1 but its not going to use!!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
gtir_messiah said:
i dont think my fuelling is wrong,how can it be wrong if no1 altered it.
Lots of things can make it run rich without altering the fuelling as such :- coolant sensor faulty, air filter blocked, leaking exhaust, MAF faults, air leaks, etc
Things can make it run lean too :- faulty fuel pump, poor earths on fuel pump, faulty injectors, too high boost etc

Don't assume because noone has altered it that it is spot on. If it isn't it could cost you a blown engine.

G

gtir_messiah

looks like im off to get that air/fuel meter,not sure if im gona get a "vego" here in S.A.does it have to be that specific 1 or can i use others?
something tells me that my white smoke is a piston ring damaged,but im hoping its not that otherwise im gona have to break open the old piggybank again.
i really love this car,its unique here in S.A.me and my dad practically have the only two in S.A!!! i did my own interior not too long ago,look out for my pics,when i eventually learn how to post them:thumbsup:

P

pulsarboby

white smoke isnt a damaged or worn ring!
its either a knackered headgasket or cracked head, or possibly a blown turbo seal, but this will also be coupled with blue smoke too.

G

gtir_messiah

no blue smoke,just white smoke.

when i idle i dont see much smoke,but as soon as i rev it,i get a puff.

also when im driving and i excelerate i get the smoke but nothing when i tap off.

could one get smoke if the valve clearences are out?

also i dont think i was obediant when driving the new motor in,coz i heard
that u shouldnt rev above 3500revs while driving the motor under 3000kms.

a new cylinder head is out of the question for me,im never gona get one anywhere here!

P

pulsarboby

are you losing coolant, over a period of time, yet with no visible leaks?
deffo sounds like a h/g problem to me

worn valves or valve stem oil seals will just give blue smoke, as its burning oil.

white smoke is water vapour

G

gtir_messiah

dont seem to be loosing coolant,no visible leaks anywhere.

how would i know if its H/D,shouldnt it overheat then?

by the way,when the car is cold,i dont hear the clakking noise in the C/H,
but as soon as it gets to normal temp then its starts to make a clakking sound.

Last edited by a moderator: