Heat Transfer Paste on Power Transistor?

hmmm

Heat Transfer Paste to the under-side of the Power Transistor. Have take the Transistor og 2 GTi-Rs and both had some white residue under them. Very similar to Heat Transfer Past. I have also read somewhere that a thin coat of paste should be applied to the transistor.

AFAIK, I think it's common practice to put some paste on the transistor in computers.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Sorry matey, wasn't being cheeky, its just that IIRC, the power transistor is on a bracket that is mounted to the block, that is hot and you probably wouldn't want to transfer heat from that.

I'll be working on the R again tonight so I'll have a look and see if I do RC.

Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Just looked through the Service manual, couldn't see anyhthnig either way about it.

If cooling were a problem, you'd be better off sticking a heat sink on the top and putting some heat conductive paste in between. Maybe its heat insulating paste???

J

jiw

I take it you mean the ignition amplifier?

If so when trying to eliminate a problem i had i ended up getting longer screws and packing it up with washers meaning air could circulate around it and also minimizing the contact path for heat to transfer from the bracket to the component itself.

Jeff :wink:

hmmm

campbellju said:
Just looked through the Service manual, couldn't see anyhthnig either way about it.

If cooling were a problem, you'd be better off sticking a heat sink on the top and putting some heat conductive paste in between. Maybe its heat insulating paste???
Does this make sense? Thermal/Heat Conductive Grease with Electrical Insulating Properties :?.

I think you need a paste which has low thermal resistance so the heat can transfer away from the Transistor to the small tab on which it is screwed in. The paste fills small/microscopic airgaps whcih prevent heat from transferring away from the Power Transistor.

Electrically Insulating as there is no need to conduct electricity, only the need to transfer heat away. That's how I see it :?.

What do you think?

JIW - Yep, the Ignition Amplifier.

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member

a few years ago ('02 iirc) ivan tomic (oz) discovered and posted how the power transistor overheating could cause loss of power (and even a flat spot in the rev range)
[experienced in both the 'R and a normal N14]

cleaning off the old factory heatsink compound and re-applying new stuff overcame the issue
(and as confirmation, several other members having power-loss issues after driving for 20 mins or so also found this was the solution to their problems)

but as has been suggested above - the bracket that the transistor is mounted to is indeed connected to the engine, which itself gets rather warm :)
(but you'd assume the transistor must get hotter than the bracket - otherwise the paste would have no effect)

so some owners have removed the transistor and mounted it on its own heat sink - away from the block:

Last edited:

hmmm

That's what I thought. The Power Transistor must get hotter then the bracket it is connected to.

The problem I am having is a slight misfire on idle. When I changed the Coil and Power Transistor to a new Nissan one, the problem completely dissapeared the first time I drove it. But it was back the next day. I thought that this might have been caused by the Power Transistor overheating. If there is no Thermal Paste in between the Power Transistor and bracket, then the heat can not be transferred away. Thermal Paste is said to be 25 times better and conducting heat than air and you will get small microscopic air pockets between the bracket and Power Transistor.

I was thinking of using this -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30171&criteria=heat transfer paste&doy=21m12

Open to comments and thoughts on all of this.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Good answer Shalom.

hmmm. I'd check if the Power transistor or the engine bracket is hotter after a run before sticking any heat transfer compound in between. The better option might be to stick a heat sink on the other side instead with compound in between that.

The misfire problem could be anything though. Good luck.

Jim

nismoboy

bolting it to a large piece of metal would also hep cooling through dissapation, so what abot bolting it away from the car to the chassis? next to the gearbox mount? this way its away from heat and attched to the chassis and this will dissapate the heat easily.