Headlight problem?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
After the saga with my alternator the main beam light started coming on when the main beams weren't on.
I took a look at the lights, and the driver's one looked a bit dim so I figured that the bulb was gone. - I knew the passenger's side one was new last year, and it looks to me like one of the connectors is broken on the faulty bulb.

I've put a new one in and it's still doing the same thing. - I don't even think the bulb is coming on at all; it's just the park light.

Any tips/suggestions on where to start or what to fix to get both headlights working (and stop the light on my dashboard)?

lakeview

seems to be a problem on a lot of older cars think its maybe due to water getting onto connections, happened to me quite a few times but only happens in the winter.noticed it again a few weeks ago when the clocks changed having not used the lights fot months.not sure what you can do other than getting a auto elecrtician to look at them and see if its a case of getting them rewired

rob

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I stopped being lazy and took a closer look. - Seems that the connector has shorted and melted, so I got a new bit of wire and spliced it in. I couldn't find a spade connector the right size in amongst my bits, so the wire is just looped through the hole in the spade on the bulb.

At least now I have dipped lights.... but when I go to main beams it goes off. :doh:
It's not the bulb, it's still a wiring problem because it doesn't matter what bulb I use (unless the new one is knackerd too).

I can get by with the dipped lights because I hardly ever really need the main beams on. :roll:

stumo

George, PM me your address and i'll send you a pair of headlamp connectors.

You owe me a beer!

It sounds like an earthing problem

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I probably owe you more than one by now...

It gets complicated because I've just changed jobs, and I'm moving this week. :doh:
(That's the reason I'm putting so many miles on the R with headlights on.)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My main beam indicator started coming on on it's own and that was down to the connector being loose on the bulb. I pushed it back on and all was fine.