head gasket advice

hello all, just having a not so steady spin in the car yesterday, and on full chat it decided all of a sudden it wanted to spit all its water out of the expansion tank, was very very steamy too from what i could see in my mirrors. I stopped, had a quick look and then tried to crank it over, it cranked very slightly and then locked up, as if Ive got loadsa coolant in one of my bores.
I'm suspecting the head gasket...... or worse! so I'll strip it down and find out!
Other than that, was wondering what parts people recommend, ie, what mls gasket, any other hints and tips, tightening torque of head bolts and whats the timing chain like to lock out, any special tools needed, part numbers, list of parts etc etc?? all advice welcome!
Thanks Chris.

Head gasket or cracked head in worst case.
Have a read through the various rebuild threads mate, loads of info to answer all your questions. Whilst you have engine out just go balls deep and sort bottom end aswell (ACL race bearings, ARP rod bolts, forgies etc..) I didn't do this the first time then a year later I went back and did it. In hindsight I would have waited and done the whole lot in one go.....

red reading

Bet your block face has melted.....common when you look about, the sr 20 has a nasty habit of melting the block deck surface just below the headgasket when running high power and you get a smidge of det, once it starts the engine is a ticking bomb on when it will let go, cracked heads are very unusual and blown headgaskets ( multi layer steel ones) won't happen because the block deck is the weakest point as it is soft cast alloy and the steel liner does not reach to the gasket.

Last edited:
Bet your block face has melted.....common when you look about, the sr 20 has a nasty habit of melting the block deck surface just below the headgasket when running high power and you get a smidge of det, once it starts the engine is a ticking bomb on when it will let go, cracked heads are very unusual and blown headgaskets ( multi layer steel ones) won't happen because the block deck is the weakest point as it is soft cast alloy and the steel liner does not reach to the gasket.
......... Bastard!! Lol! Looks like a full rebuild comin my way then! Presuming the only cure for the block is another one then? It sounds nasty does your description anyway! An your right, it went all of a sudden.... Really bad! Took the plugs out this afternoon, and cylinder number 3 would be good for some goldfish I reckon, just a bit of water in there!!

red reading

Yep new block, I did the same thing to one, jim Campbell is another,even seen a nme car engine that did it.....the trick is not pushing the ign timing to its limit....hence why I map my car on shit fuel then run it on the good stuff....safety margine it's called chris as you never know how shite the petrol is you put in the tank.

i have a virgin block if you need one, as if you can don't bore one out any further than 86.5mm ....pm me your number and I will explain all.

MarkTurbo

the block deck is the weakest point as it is soft cast alloy and the steel liner does not reach to the gasket.
Would my engine be more resistant to that then as its linered?

Just a question, i'm not about to go and chuck loads of ignition advance at it :lol:

MarkTurbo

Thanks Danny, thought that would be the case. Will still be keeping it on the safe side as i'd much rather make a bit less power than push an engine to the limit of melting things :lol:

Your lucky is still works at all with liners fitted sunshine lol.
Shut it you p1ss stained old Saab owner :lol:

The engine is fine just a shame i can't say the same about the turbo :doh: I'll be doing an Edd and reverse modding it back to a standard turbo in the next few weeks ...........................for now ;-)

vpulsar

Liners are fine as long as they are fitted right and not bored out too far....you are so behind the times....bloody Saab owners!...lol
Tell that to bruce lol he had at least 3 attempts at getting them right! But like you say they're fine if done properly shame not many can fit them right.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Was it just Agra who had problems fitting the liners and as quite a few on here were using Agra for their re-builds so it's not a fair reflection?

The post mortem on my block was exactly as Danny said. At the time I was pushing for 2bar with maximum ignition gaps and advance on a .64 ar 3071. I learnt a lot and when it worked it was responsive, powerful and good mpg. Whether I did the damage at a trackday or just general abuse over 15k miles I don't know but the end result was the same.

Next time round I'd run less boost. I was deliberately overboosting in the mid range to improve response for overtaking and when pulling out of 2nd gear corners. There is clearly a sweet spot in a turbo that can be exceeded but next time round I would focus on smoothness of power as well as delivery.

Greygtir

See this is the problem I have. Heard loads of reports bout liners. But is it who fits them? I'm inclined to send my block to Maxworx to get liners fitted n a few other things done.

red reading

its the liner design that doesnt help either, there are other liners out there that can be used...i have found a very good place to do them and it is not as expensive as people think, when i distroy this engine i will build a linered one for myself.

Head gasket bore size is another factor as well.

Born Again

its the liner design that doesnt help either, there are other liners out there that can be used...i have found a very good place to do them and it is not as expensive as people think, when i destroy this engine i will build a linered one for myself.

Head gasket bore size is another factor as well.
I love your optimism, lol.
:-D