Has anyone fitted one of these...?

PaulB

yeah, looks a good earthing kit. A lot of the earths are getting old now, I had a slight problem with a couple of mine after the rebuild. Soon sorted though when i cleaned them all up.

stumo

there's no need for the wires to be so big, even 1mm2 wire will do as no current **will be flowing in the wires.

(**ok for the pedantic arsewipes out there, maybe some current will flow but not enough to get excited about)

you could make a kit for a lot less than that.

the best thing you can go is to clean up all the earth points and check the resistance between them.

Mr GTiR

£44.50, sod that! My earthing kit is home made and cost me nothing as i used old bit of cable that i had lying around.

youngsyp

ashills said:
no need atall
Not true !

There was a long post on here a while ago that went through the merits or earth bonding or star earthing. Plus, if you do any research, you will see anyone who understands electrical resistance will recommend reinforcing the under bonnet earths with a decent bonding set up.

I will agree that heavy duty cable is unneccesary and over the top. Although, I used 8 awg cable and gold plated crimps for mine. That still only cost me about £20 to make though !

I will conceed that cleaning the original earthing points wll make a difference too but, reinforcing them will make a bigger one !

Some light load capacity equipment wire should do, something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=XR34M&DOY=23m6

Just use this with appropriate crimps, keeping the runs as short as possible, all going back to one point.... the negative (-) terminal of the battery. Make runs to the alternator (I went to the casing for ease), the head, the block, the plenum (where the other earths (injectors ?!) are connected) and reinforce the original earth strap, from the negative (-) battery terminal to the chassis. I also reinforced the earth for the TPS (back to the plenum earth points).
Once you've made and installed it, spray all cleaned earthing points that will be effected by the weather, with Waxoyl.

You should be able to knock one up for less than £10 !

carlengerer

I agree with you that its important to have good earthing but not sure about it being a rip off...to me a rip off is spending 6 to 8 hundred pounds for a exhaust manifold..

ashills

but what is the point there is no need what so ever for all these silly wires im sure nissan did enough testing on the cars electrical system and saw it as adequate

youngsyp

ashills said:
but what is the point there is no need what so ever for all these silly wires im sure nissan did enough testing on the cars electrical system and saw it as adequate
You are kidding ?! Just measuring the voltage that's available at the fuel pump should quash that thought !
Fact is, all manufacturers do things to a price, you can always improve them.

Plus, even if they did do things adequately (that being the operative word), the wiring is between 13 and 17 years old. So to be fair, the whole loom could do with renewing as all sorts of weird and wonderful things happen to the copper wiring and brass and steel connections over time, especially the parts that are exposed to the weather and wildly variable temperatures under the bonnet. So, reinforcing the earthing is a very good starting point !

ashills

the fuel pump is a valid point to beef up but do that with a relay and a nice fat wire from the battery but the rest well if the car runs ok i cant see it doing diddly squat but like lots of these things if they look good people will buy them

youngsyp

ashills said:
the fuel pump is a valid point to beef up but do that with a relay and a nice fat wire from the battery but the rest well if the car runs ok i cant see it doing diddly squat but like lots of these things if they look good people will buy them
Fine, believe what you like bud, they're not my kits to sell ;-)
Although, I looked at the kits in question and they're not actually bad value, if you take into account the cost of the component parts to the everyday consumer, the time they've taken to make and the cost of tools that would be needed for the particular kit !

Brushing all that aside, it is fact that earth bonding or star earthing will improve a cars electrical system, especially if it's 17 years old. Plus, you will see and feel tangible results if it's done properly.
Your car may be running 'ok' now but, just how well could it be running ?! Plus, by your own admission that the fuel pump wiring isn't up to scratch, surely it's conceivable that other key areas of the wiring loom aren't either ?!

It's not voodoo or black magic..... just simple physics ;-)