Handling mods

A

Anonymous

What mods have you lot got for better handling?

Are all the white line products as good as everyone sais they are?

At the moment mine is just lowered 40mm with koni adjustables on the back, what should i be looking to get first?

Front + rear strut brace?

cheers 8)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Apart from the White Line Kit:-

:arrow: Front Strut Brace

:arrow: Rear Strut Brace

:arrow: Thicker Camber Bolts (Keeps wheels better aligned on hard cornering)
:arrow: Cusco 4pt Lower Brace

Rishi

mohsan

camber bolts

where can you get these and how much? the first ive heard of them and it makes sense,thanks

A

Anonymous

How about getting the Powerstation Bumpsteer Kit? it reduced bumpsteer by 2/3rds......a real big difference.

I've got it as well as the full Whiteline works kit, 17's and front and rear strut braces..........and it now handles like a go kart.

My brother (NISR227) has had all this fitted today actually at Powerstation.

NISR227

Yeah was at Powerstation yesterday having the new suspension fitted and i'm very very happy with the new Whitline Springs (already have GAB dampes), Whiteline Handling Kit (rear arb and various bushes) and Powerstation bumpsteer kit. I only use lightweight 15s with 205 but the car is so chuckable now. It turns in far quicker, like a go kart, and with just a slight lift off you can get the backend round pretty easily now and then play with the throttle on roundabouts, great fun on my local B roads in bedforshire.

Found out the jap spec springs on my car beforehand were about the hardest you could get with hardly any travel at the front, I kinda knew this becuase it was so crap on a really bumpy roads, to the point I would have to back off. But now it takes the bumps far better, keeps its balance and with the bumpsteer, it doesn't require much effort to cover B roads very quickly. Great fun, and the feedback tells you exactly whats happening.

I driven my brothers car with all this but he uses Konis and 17s and was impressed with the change then, but i'm even more so with mine, maybe its the light 15s I dunno? Its obviously no Evo but its all def worth doing to an R.

I was told that the arb links were worn though, and they are ever so slightly knocking, so need to order some and get them replaced, but they are only cheap.

Did I say I like it then? :lol:

C

Crazy

Glad to hear that you were pleased with the Whiteline gear 8)

Good to meet you aswell NISR227 and I know what my next mods will be :wink:

WHITELINE!

A

Anonymous

Does all the suspension mods make the ride a lot harder? As i wanted it to remain as it is.

What would uprated dampers do?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've just put the lower 4point brace/ 2strut braces/ rear arb/ anti lift kit on my car and it seems abit more stable than before. It's still abit wallowy on ffast corners, but then I have the standard springs and dampers on still.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Mine isn't any harder, but that's because the springs and dampers haven't been changed. (yet :wink: )

A

AJ4

They slow down the springs. If you didn't have dampers the car would hit a bump and bounce on the springs for ages.

Every time the spring compresses or expands, the damper steals a little bit of power out of the spring and stops it from bouncing forever. If the car is overdamped ( dampers too stiff ) the ride would be really hard and you would feel every grain of sand in the road :D If the dampers are too soft, the car tends to bounce up and down and doesn't settle down quickly after hitting a bump. Every time the car bounces up after hitting a bump, the wheels are lifted up as well making less traction on the road ( a bad thing ;) )

The factory dampers are more set for comfort and are a bit soft. People uprate the dampers ( for harder ones ) for better performance. It is a big compromise between comfort and performance.

The ideal setting would be dampers that would absorb a bump and then immediately settle to flat again, think about bouncing the wing down, the car goes down and then comes back up level again but normally with a little overshoot above level before settling back level again. If it goes down for a second time its too soft... :D

Sorry for the big-suck-eggs-post, but I'm post-whoring to get above 500 :D:D:D

M

memski

The factory dampers are more set for comfort and are a bit soft. People uprate the dampers ( for harder ones ) for better performance. It is a big compromise between comfort and performance.
Got most handling mods on my car and the only thing I've changed is to go from coilovers to stock dampers and springs. More comfortable? Yes. Better handling? No, not by a long shot (utter shit in comparison actually :lol: )

A

Anonymous

Great explanation 8)

So adjustable dampers, on a soft setting would it be like the standard GTiR dampers?

Cheers 8)

A

AJ4

Still whoring...

I forgot to say, think of the springs as being how 'hard' the suspension is, and the dampers as how quickly the spring returns to normal size.

Uprating either of them will make the ride harder, but the springs have a greater effect.

A

AJ4

memski said:
More comfortable? Yes. Better handling? No, not by a long shot (utter s**t in comparison actually :lol: )
Erm, isn't that what I just said or did I totally misread your post ? :D

ross said:
People uprate the dampers ( for harder ones ) for better performance
:D:D:D

M

memski

:oops: Just backing you up Ross, I didn't realise how good the Teins are until they came off :cry:

A

AJ4

why on earth did you take off coilovers for standard shocks and springs ???????? :shock:

A

AJ4

And before anyone asks, coilovers are shock absorbers with an adjustable spring platform so that you can adjust the ride height of the car ;)

8 more to go.... :D