Handling experiences after fitting an LSD

Hey guys just wondering if anyone have installed an LSD in our GTi-R. Just wondering how much difference does it contribute to the handling and what are the quirks, and the good bits that u guys encountered.

Also i was wondering is it an okay idea if i was to upgrade the open front diff to a LSD? Was wondering if anyone has done that or would it make the car understeer more?

Also another thing was wondering by having a LSD does it make a big difference as i notice the centre diff being viscous it might not allow us to reap the full potential of having a front or rear LSD. Just want to know your view.

I brought this up as i'm into offroading and i noticed that even a Range Rover with LOCKED diffs front and rear but still retaining a viscous centre diff the vehicle still can go into 2wd in extreme situation.

So what say u guys. Upgrade the front to an LSD or better leave it stock standard?

skiddusmarkus

I've got front and centre ones fitted but haven't driven on them enough to give much of a report.Ask again in a few weeks when I've put some miles on.
First impressions though are that it makes it harder work to drive as steering is wanting to do something that your hands aren't telling it to and that it needs correcting more.Grip feels good but I haven't pushed it yet.

Hey Skid,
did u get your diff from cmng?

Coming from a few friends they find that having a lsd up front seems tricky and the power delivery seems vicious. But these are front wheel drive cars so the characteristics might be abit different from us 4wds.
The feedback i got is that understeer is even worse off power but abit unpredictable when on power where the front just tucks in.

Another thing is it true that it's highly recommended to have a centre lsd upgraded inorder to make the front and rear lsd work? Coz i'm wondering what happens if u just install the front lsd but retain the standard center viscious.
So who else here running a front lsd in their R?

skiddusmarkus

I got both front and centre diffs from cmng-he's a good guy to deal with :D .

I'll post more info on it when I've driven it more(maybe tomorrow) :D .

Nad

Front diffs will cause more understeer unless driven on properly, that is obvious, made for power out not constant power in and thru a corner as the car will pull wide (unless on gravel). Sometimes a rear can help counter this as it to will push wide at the back. Obviously though grip will be up because once locked postive power is being fed to both wheels rather than relying on traction to allow power to be sent to the wheel in a decent quantity.

Nad

So u find the front more planted as suggested in the thread?
I take it the rear is stock viscious LSD?
Do u find the car understeering off power but the front tucks in, "bite" and turns on power?

Do u find it easier to drift. Or it stills suffers from abit of under on power?
Nice specs on your BabyGodzilla......

skiddusmarkus

The car wasn't really understeering off power.It drifted a little wider but it didn't feel like understeer.On power though the diff makes the car a lot better than I am a driver 8) .

Hey are u running a rear LSD too? Nismo, Cusco? Or still running the original rear diff.

Anyway i notice some people are running Phantom Grip but i was wondering if they do the rears or it's only for the front.
Any ideas?

J

JamesB

After several discussions with Ozzy R owners, guys with front lsd's have come to the conclusion its the single most influential upgrade for a pulsar bar none. These guys have owned thir R's for between 3 and 7 years any have sunk some serious dollars into them - not to make them dyno queens or anything but to improve the fast street/race enjoyment of the car. Phantom grips apparently are alright but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

skiddusmarkus

James-I'd agree with that.It's the best thing I've ever had done to the car.Better than going to 1bar,better than fitting bigger brakes,better even than the bumpsteer mod :lol: .

The R should have come with them as standard,maybe if they'd done a revision/evolution it would have.

skiddusmarkus

I have the front and centre LSD's and when I reverse the car can judder the wheels even in a straight line.Could the rear diff be getting wound up?I don't know anyone else with experience of them to ask,apart from Sascha in Oz but he's not been on MSN much lately.

zia

simon are there any more nismo center diff available? do you have link?
having been looking to getting the stock one welded but it case of trail and error!

zia

cmng

i will post it up when i manage to source one

By the way..
rear Nismo LSD ..
Almost impossible.. since people just tought the front is more valuable
and scrap the rear.
:?

This is an intresting subject front and rear lsd's.

Iv been doing a little research i wonder about the interchangeability with other makes of car. As our cars are not the only cars to run the r180 rear diff although we run a 3.7 final drive which is rare.

I know for a fact that early wrxs among others run a r180 diff although the cover was different i wonder weather the internals were the similar/same/diff ratio??
Also the part no. 38420-RS420 a google search gives you an outfit in the states that possibly can supply listed as a nissan frontier 4*4. They also have the front listed.

I also know that the nissan altima nismo front lsd is the same part no. 38420-RS426 as a gtir front lsd and retails for around $800US. Not sure if its exactly the same diff?? I guess the only thing missing is the nismo drive shaft that is needed to fit it.

Just thought i would post this if anyone else knows weather these will work for a fact or not would be good.