handbrake light

chrism

The handbrake light is staying on all the time.

I believe its the switch. Where is the switch and whats the nest way to get to it?

chrism

Pads are okay. Had them off the other day. Will it light up if the brake fluid is low? Ill check it tomorrow then.

Trip: Im just having a "blond" day ;)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
the handbrake switch is on the handbrake itself.
Yes, it's just a little momentary switch with a bit of metal that pushes on it. - I think the manual tells you to bend it so that the switch comes on when the hand brake is at 1-2 "clicks".

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It should, it's a brake warning light as opposed to a "handbrake" light
Eh? It's just a light that comes on when you pull on the handbrake; it's a really simple circuit and just has the one switch.

Are you thinking of the other <Brake> light rather than the <!> one?

chrism

both the yellow and the red and lit. I presumed the yellow one is lit cos Ive unplugged the ABS. Its the small red light Im asking about.

grim_d

Eh? It's just a light that comes on when you pull on the handbrake; it's a really simple circuit and just has the one switch.

Are you thinking of the other <Brake> light rather than the <!> one?
The low fluid sensor on the brake master cylinder is on the same circuit, page EL-137 in the service manual. :thumbsup:

both the yellow and the red and lit. I presumed the yellow one is lit cos Ive unplugged the ABS. Its the small red light Im asking about.
Well if the fluid is at the correct level then I would be investigating the switch on the handbrake or the switch on the master cylinder. You might even find something really obvious like a short when you start investigating.

As far as I can tell both switches are push to make types, so if you unplug them one at a time and see if the light goes out you should have your answer.

To get to the handbrake switch take the centre console out (the bit surrounding the handbrake) and you can't miss it, only 4 screws if i remember right.

The master cylinder switch I assume is inside the reservoir but the connector should be within reach, the wire comes out of the right hand side on the bottom of the reservoir.

If I'm talking shite then somebody please correct me :lol: