gtir worst handing 4x4 car

A

Anonymous

can anyone help ive just got hold of a very clean 94 L reg gitr 54000 miles , 294bhp/276lbf tourqe, and i dont no if its just because i am spoiled with new company car that i drive or there is something wrong with the gtir. when you are cornering and you turn the wheel it seems to fight back at you, tyring to pull the wheel straight again , pas fluid is fine pas pump ok good pressure no noise when vehicle is not moving steering from lock to lock feels o.k and as light as you would expect !!! the vehicles
suspention is total standard !!!! running 15" wheel 195/50 tyres tyre pressures at 32psi all round

can anyone help has anyone felt this before or maybe its just how gtirs are if so ill live with it

many thanks guys mike :D

skiddusmarkus

You need to be a bit more specific.Steering can be self centring(it's been that long since I drove mine I can't remember :oops: ).I prefer that to having to unwind lock manually.
Or maybe you're just going faster on the corner than you're used to.

A

Anonymous

i no that all cars will return to straight ahead postion by themself because of the castor angle on the from wheels ( i was a merceds benz mechanic for 5 years , then at range rover and now im team manger at sytner bmw leics so i do understand geomerty of a car i.e castor , camber , track and how they effect a car ) i guess its quite had to explane with out showing someone in the car but my mate drove it today , he has a 98 sti two door scobby and he said the same, when you turn the wheel in to a corner not going very fast and not tyring to acelarate just with a balanced throttle
the steering wheel is fighting with you to straighten up it make the car feel clumsy

any ideas anyone cheers mike

Keira

Standard pulsars handle like a bag-o-shite :shock: :lol:

Shouldn't be trying to straighten itself out though :?: :?: ordinarilly you'd just sit there with a handful of lock whilst the car ploughs straight on :lol:

None of that helps i doubt, have you had a good look at all the bushes, steering alignment checked etc.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Could it be uprated diffs? Allegedly they can make turning harder as they try and straighten you out.

A

AZ STE

Try setting the TOE to -1. If its set positive can feel like your describing.

J

JamesB

when I got my R its toe was -6 and -7 and gave the same characteristics as described - massive tyre wear is also an unwanted result.

R

rx7rotary

mine goes hard around corners and handles great on standard suspension and B&G springs, never have a problem of me having to struggle to straighten it up or anything.

Goes fine, ....

Maybe im not driving it hard enough or some people are use to different setups and dont like the handling of GTIR.

who knows,

Marko

Websnowbo

Sounds like you bought my old Grey one! lol

Suspension was fooked beyond belief..........fitted a set of lowering springs when i sold it to hide the fooked damper problem..........Sorry if the owner is on this board!!

D

DodgeT

Sorry if the owner is on this board!!
that'll be me then :)

unsure really what you mean, i didnt notice anything "wrong" with how it handled, thought it handled fine, then again i did get into the R after 1 1/2yrs driving a fireblade engined westy in all weathers :D :D

on a serious note, if your worried, get it down to martin @ the kit car workshop, not far from you in northampton, he'll soon tell you if owts up.

id be suprised if there was, dont forget youve been driving around in a brand new BMW 8)

it may just want the tracking etc. checking, i never had it done.

hope everything is fine :D

Davey

Suspension was fooked beyond belief..........fitted a set of lowering springs when i sold it to hide the fooked damper problem..........Sorry if the owner is on this board!!
thats charming m8 :? :roll:

heavy steering

:D Hi m8. Did u say that you'd only got your R recently? I've not had mine that long either, and coming from a company Mondeo, i think i know what u mean- i do feel it fight me a little, but if you want to turn in more, it will let you with a little more pressure- it's quite a deceptive feel ain't it?

:idea: Don't know if you agree, but i noticed my R is a bit like a big clumsy heavy old truck until you wind up the boost and get really moving, then it seems to come alive and feel much more light and nimble. They're built to go fast i guess, so i'd say don't worry about it-like i say i know what you mean.

Believe me, when you get used to it, you will be able to corner faster than your company repboat. :D